Question on AMD intergrated and Dedicated GPU ASUS K550IU

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:09:34 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

please bare with me this is my first post, unsure if this is in the right place, and im new to the whole Gaming PC kinda thing, but i purchased a ASUS K550IU Laptop, came with AMD FX-9830P Processor and AMD Radeon RX460 4GB Dedicated 'Gaming' Graphics Card, AMD R7 onboard 'browsing' graphics

I bought it mainly for watching videos and light gaming, the gaming it does pretty well, playing rocket league, However when watching Videos online, youtube or streaming movies it still seems like it int using the Dedicated GPU and giving me low quality still. iv done abit of reading and understand there should be switchable graphics and it will automatically use the dedicated graphics when needed and your meant to be able to specify this in the AMD control panel

However as i am watching videos via Google Chrome, it is locked to the Integrated graphics and wont let me change this, has anyone come across a way of either disabling the integrated or forcing it to use dedicated GPU?

Any help is very much appreciated, as i say i am new to the "Performance" laptop

Many Thanks

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:09:35 Mobile | Show all posts
I think you may be barking up the wrong tree. Video playback is generally handling by the CPU and the dedicated video decoding circuitry (UVD). The main GPU is influential if you're applying any demanding post-processing to the video, and the video players in web browsers don't support that.

The RX 460 does have a slightly newer revision of the decoder (UVD 6.3 vs. UVD 6.0) but I wouldn't expect it to make much, if any, difference to video quality.

I've never used that sort of switchable graphics system but I'd expect the list of programs which use the dedicated to be somewhere in the AMD control center (AMD Settings I think the latest incarnation is called). There should be an option to add a program manually there if you want to try.

What sort of poor video symptoms are you experiencing and what are you comparing it too?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:09:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Try this (assuming using latest version of Windows 10)
* click on start->settings
* select system->display
* scroll to bottom and select graphics settings
* set selection to classic app and click browse, point it at chrome.exe (program files x86/google/chrome/application/)
* after adding chrome click on it and you will have an options button
* does it list a power-saving GPU as R7 and high performance as RX460 ?
* if it is correctly detecting the RX460 set it to high performance mode & save.

That should make Windows use the RX480 with Chrome.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:09:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for the replies, as stated i am barking up the wrong tree i believe as i am quite new to this, i have since been able to get some apps to use the High performance Card as suggested, so thank you both for this!. I was expecting to be able to View on a TV at 4K 60Hz but it doesn't look like that is possible, i can view at 4K 30Hz or 1080P @ 60Hz, i believe this is down to the laptop possibly not having HDMI 2.0 or display port? as my TV will do 4k at 60hz from my Xbox one X so it is capable, again unless im barking up the wrong tree

Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:09:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Did you enable 4K mode for the TV HDMI input the laptop is connected to on the TV ?

If so then the likely issue is that the laptops HDMI port is a v1.4 which is bandwidth limited to [email protected]

A HDMI 2.0 port is needed to output [email protected], you could do this by getting a USB3 graphics output which is 4K 60Hz capable like this, it must support [email protected] (which is 4K on TV).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:09:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi there,

i presumed it would to it automatically? the Tv isnt overly advanced it is a LG 43inch 4k Smart TV, i dont think it has settings Per HDMI port, as i used the same port and High speed HDMI cable my Xbox one X use i thought it would do it automatically

There is an option per HDMi port for Ultra Deep colour i think it is off the top of my head which i have always had on for the xbox.

That adapter looks promising, looks like it will work with AMD FX series processor

Many Many thanks for this!

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:09:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Those sorts of USB graphics cards can struggle at the edge of their capabilities. It takes a lot of processing power for the realtime heavy compression needed to fit a video stream down a USB port, and the higher the resolution the more is needed.

A couple of the reviews on the Amazon listing Next linked do mention it can be sluggish or not suitable for videos.

It also doesn't support HDCP (at all) so there's a good chance your streamed movies won't play.

Is the quality problem you're having a lack of fluidity/smoothness?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
An example is when watching Sky Go app, 1080P 60Hz, is fluid and has good detail, obviously not as much as 4K,

then when changing the resolution to 4K 29/30Hz as this is all i get to choose from, you can see straight away there is greater details and looks great, but you can see that it isnt as fluid or free flowing,

its not laggy or stuttery you can just see it isnt 60hz if that makes sense?

Many Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:09:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes the Ultra deep colour is the 4k HDR setting, you must enable that to allow [email protected] on whatever HDMI input the PC is connected to.

As for the USB adapter you don't really have any other options, that aren't crazy technical or use wireless desktop streaming to the TV but that will also affect image quality. That adapter I linked to is one of the more expensive ones and has positive reviews on the UK & USA Amazon stores for what it's worth.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I thought as much, i remember turning it on to allow the xbox one X to display correctly and never turn it off.

yes i agree that looks to be the only quick and easy solution, Many thanks for all the advice again

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部