View: 359|Reply: 10

From Macbook back to Windows

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:11:54 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Have a 13" Macbook Pro and need a bigger screen but cannot justify Apple's £2300  for a 15" so maybe time for a change.

Thinking about going back to Windows as I can probably get a good Dell for half the price.

I'm retired and don't need speed as I'm just browsing the net most of the time. What I do want a is great screen as I'm 70 and eyesite is becoming a problem. Next is reliability and a  no hassle operating system.

Things I like about Apple, it's never gone wrong, crashed or needed re-installing in 5 years and I have never had to use anitvirus software. It's quiet, no fan or hard drive noise, reliable, good battery life. On the down side, several things won't work on Apple and I don't like the way Apple are going or their attitude.

When I had Windows 7 it was forever crashing, often needing a re-installing and always needed antivirus software (that never seemed to work anyhow). It was absolute rubbish compared to Apple.

Have things moved on quite a bit since then and is Windows 10 more reliable?
Does Windows still need antivirus software?
Can I transfer my Apple Notes/Contact/Calendars etc. to Windows?
Apple comes with built in Office Suite etc, does Windows still come with nothing?
Am I likely to hit any problems?
Mainly use iPhone XR, Dropbox, Google Photos, E-wallet, Messages, Contacts, Calendars.

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:11:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Those “issues” are still there. Still requires tinkering. Still doesn’t come with anything. And still doesn’t integrate with your phone anywhere close.

Cheapest “change” would be to just get an external screen. Naturally you can also scale the screen from your existing MacBook Pro to make everything bigger. That works very well in MacOS.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:11:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks, thought that may be the case with Windows. I have the screen scaled but lots of websites seen to have parts missing, for example I fill in a form and the submit button is somewhere off the screen and wont scroll to it. More a problem with the websites than the Mac.

It would be good if I could use my LG T V for the screen and I wondered if there is any way I can connect to it with a wireless interface?  Meanwhile  I'll buy a long HDMI cable and try that.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:11:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't for that when you have a 15" and have it at the same resolution scaled as a 13" the effect will be exactly the same, merely bigger. You'd still have to scroll more.

But you should be able to scroll to it.Remember there are different ways of doing this;
* Browser zoom, not a good idea unless who ever designed the website artifially kept it small in the middle.
* Display zoom, zoom on the monitor itself, I also wouldn't recommend that as parts can be hart to get to.
*Display settings scaling, it shouldn't affect any websites, it is a native scaling of all screen controls, and it is by far the best way to do this. And another thing that Windows nor Linux can't get right to apply across all applications and in a consistent manner.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:11:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Have tried most of that but when I scale the screen larger I then have to scale the browser down to 90% to get some websites to work but will have another look at it.  

Some websites now have a large banner at the top which remains stationary whilst the rest of the screen scrolls under it. These banners and adverts seem to be taking up a lot of the useful space. No idea why I cannot scroll down on some sites but the Avforums is fine even with the adverts.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:11:58 Mobile | Show all posts
If you have a link to a website that does that I can take a look in the code...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:11:59 Mobile | Show all posts
You have various options; however whenever you change to a new OS there will always be a learning curve.

The Windows 10 interface is completely different to Windows 7 and in my opinion is far superior to Win 7, however others disagree. (They have got used to the way Win 7 works and can’t get on with Win 10)

Windows still has 70-80% of the Desktop/Laptop market so it is still the most targeted by hackers and virus/malware writers, but it has improved considerably and for a lot of simple users they will be happy with it using the inbuilt anti-virus; however I would recommend getting something like Malware bytes to add additional protection. (The same applies to MAC as malware has increased significantly over the last couple of years and because MAC does not have any protection most users don’t know it is there and unknowingly pass it on to others)

You can legally download Windows 10 for free and use MAC Bootcamp to try it out; however you will not be able to customise it in any way until you purchase a licence.

The US, EU and other countries still prevent Microsoft from including a lot a programs on their OS as it is classed as being anti-competitive due to their market share. (You can use MS Office online for free which suits most users, plus there are a number of free office suits available)

Not sure what browser you are using but you could try a different one to see if that helps.

Transferring the information you mention over is possible, (Just do a Google search) and is no more difficult than transferring from Windows to MAC.

My suggestion for you (As the programs you use need minimal resources) is to have a look at an official MAC refurbished of the size you require, as it will be significantly cheaper than new and should suit you down to the ground.

Bill

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:12:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Bill, it's looking like it will be better to stick with Apple but it's interesting to know I can download Windows 10 as I already have Bootcamp installed so will try it out. Have used Malwarebytes in the past and found it to be one of the best.

Will start looking for a good refurbished Mac 15 and maybe screen mirroring to my TV.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:12:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't have a specific website in mind but will try and find one if I can.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:12:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Apple certified refurbs here: Refurbished Mac - 15-inch - MacBook Pro

Mark.

Use magic Report

12Next