View: 235|Reply: 4

Transferring OS from Sata SSD to new M2 SSD in new PC

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 03:12:27 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi to All,

My current PC (custom build from Ginger 6)  is 8 years old. It's done OK but they do start to slow down eventually.
I am looking at buying a new one from ChillBlast.
The current PC has a 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro Sata SSD. (I have a separate HDD for files etc)
My OS is Windows 10 Pro which was a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro OEM, for which I still have the disc and licence key.
The new PC comes with an M2 SSD, same size but I don't need any more space. It comes with an additional HDD.
It is shipped with Windows 10 Home, but I prefer the Pro version.

Do I have to bite the bullet and pay out for Windows 10 Pro again or is there a way I can transfer my licence to the new PC?

I have read somewhere that it is not straightforward to clone a standard SSD to an M2

Thank you for your constructive advice.

Mark Adams

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:12:28 Mobile | Show all posts
First off try to Upgrade the Windows 10 Home on the new PC to Pro using your License key:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

Then I would suggest that you reinstall all the Apps that you use and copy over all your data to the new drives (you can connect the old drives temporarily to do this and then remove them once you are done if desired).
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:12:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for your reply.

Much appreciated

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:12:29 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't want to bring the bad news, but I don't think you'll be able to update to Win10Pro for free.
Your OEM license was Win7Pro and then you've received a free update to Win10Pro. This is not the same as the requirements for switching from Home to Pro, for free. Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll be able to transfer the Pro license to the new computer for free.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:12:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah, OEM licences are locked to a single computer. The only windows licences that are transferable are the retail boxed ones you buy yourself, not the ones bundled with PCs.

Most companies like Chillblast will let you specify the machine without OS though, so you won't need to pay for an OEM copy of Windows 10 home that you'll never use.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部