View: 198|Reply: 1

Upgrade Advice

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 03:12:54 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I am currently running the following set-up.

Asus TUF FX504GD 15.6" Gaming Laptop - BlackIntel i5-8300H 8th gen Intel Core i5 processor Quad Core8GB RAM1TB HDD (5400 rpm)Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050Windows 10
I am experiencing slow down and the disc running at 100% some of the time. This happens a lot when running Adobe CC (Illustrator/Photoshop). I suspect the HDD is the cause of the slow down and the 8GB of RAM probably doesn't help.

What I would like to know is, if i was to upgrade to 16GB of RAM and install a SSD will I see a significant boost in performance?

My other option would be to invest in a whole new machine, like a MacBook or a better Windows laptop, but I want to see if the upgrade option would work first.

Thanks!
S.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:12:55 Mobile | Show all posts
If your laptop has its standard storage option it has already has an SSHD Seagate ST1000LX015 FireCuda 1 TB 5400 RPM 2.5 inch SATA Internal SSHD Hard Drive. This is a hybrid drive combining a small amount of onboard fast RAM with a standard hard drive. Performance is somewhere between a standard HDD and an SSD.
I would still replace the 1TB SSHD with an SSD, this will give the better performance boost for boot times, shutdown times and for programs requiring frequent disk read writes. I have upgraded my two laptops both of which are several years old and it has given them a new lease of life.
Upgrading from 8GB to 16GB will only benefit programs that are written to take advantage of large amounts of RAM, most aren't
SSD prices are coming down so that even 1TB SSDs are becoming more affordable. Even buying a cheap SSD should give a significant performance benefit compared to your current setup
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部