View: 396|Reply: 4

unable to take out my SSD

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:49:32 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hey - I have a bit of an odd situation. I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU and put in a brand new m2 ssd. I put a new copy of windows onto the m2 sitting alongside an existing copy on a regular SSD.

So far so good. When I boot up I get asked which copy of Windows I want to boot from (as i have a copy on the old SSD and one on the M2). This suited me fine as I was able to keep my old windows version going while I got the new one set up. I could boot up from either.

Roll forward to today and I decided to take the old motherboard, cpu and put it in a new case for the kids. So I took the old Windows SSD out of the new whizzy machine ready to put in the kids case. However when I now boot up my machine (which has one copy of Windows now on the M2 SSD) then my motherboard moans like crazy and doesn't recognise any of the drives (including the M2 or any of the other drives I have in there - e.g. the HDD, another SSD and the bluray). Any ideas?

I have tried a few things - like disconnecting unused SATA cables, trying out different combinations of cables, bad language, hitting my case profusely. The only way I can get it to boot is to stick the regular SSD back in. Also if i try to disable the drive from the BIOS then that replicates the same situation where it won't see any drives.

Driving me bonkers.

Thanks in advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:49:33 Mobile | Show all posts
The MBR (Master boot record) is on the original SSD.
You should never install windows on a new drive in a PC that already has an active windows partition or this is exactly what happens.

Try some of the tips here ....
However, the easiest fix is to back up your stuff and re-install windows with only the drive you want it on connected.
Fix the MBR – Guide for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:49:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Andy - If i remove the hard disk that has the version of windows i don't want then I am unable to see ANY of the drives in the machine (e.g. the M2 SDD, or my other HDD)

I went as far as removing all of the SSDs except for the M2. This has an MBR and a copy of windows on it that i know boots up. However the motherboard still recognised none of the drives.

One option I thought of  was to format the regular SSD with windows on it but i am afraid that will send me into a point of no return.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:49:35 Mobile | Show all posts
I think I owe you a beer....

Disconnecting the ssd,  whacking in the windows install disk seemed to allow it to recognise the m2 (and other hdd)...

Fresh install of windows going on now

I am hoping for the best....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:49:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Andy.... Thanks for your help.... worked a treat

Use magic Report