View: 387|Reply: 6

Upgrading my R3-2200G to R5-2600

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:51:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
The R3-2200G is a good budget CPU and has the Vegas 8 iGPU which work quite well. It'll fit a lot of users who's looking for light gaming and general net hopping.

However I have over 1000 DVDs to rip to my new HDD and the poor Ryzen are over worked. After 300  DVDs I got a lot of heat alarms. I had it set at 70C so I moved to 80C and it still touched on it.

At first I thought of a better heatsink/fan but I realized I'll still overwork that CPU. I ordered a Ryzen 5-2600 to replace it. Don't worry, I have the video card which I put in hoping to lighten the load on the CPU but no difference.

No OCing was involved. I had the CPU for about two months and still have the package. So what does a used R3-2200G be worth on the market?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:51:04 Mobile | Show all posts
It doesn't really make much sense to talk about overworking a CPU. They're extremely robust and many applications will run them at 100% 24/7 for their entire lifetime.

A bit of transcoding in between waiting for the DVD drive to read the data isn't a high stress use.

You can talk about 'overwork' in a real time application like rendering a game where a CPU can't keep up, but when transcoding video a faster CPU will run at exactly the same load - it'll just complete the task a bit faster.

In terms of encoding you need to be using the right software. GPU accelerated encoding never really took off as it's only really a major improvement with a top of the line CPU.

Most encoding these days is either done with fixed function hardware (Quicksync in Intel chips, VCE and VCN in AMD and NVENC in nVidia) or CPU only for greater control. For the former to be used your transcoding software has to support the individual technologies.

What sort of time is it taking to transcode a disc currently and how does that compare to the time reading the disc (which is limited by the DVD drive, not the CPU)?

I can't help with second hand prices in the US. Why not look at common places stuff is sold and see what previous items have gone for?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:51:05 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm using Handbrake if that matters. When I said overworked I meant hot. It buzzed with 70c alarm set so I raised to to 80c and it buzzed a little. On other uses it sticks around 35c.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:51:06 Mobile | Show all posts
The 2600 will put out more heat and get hotter with the same cooling system. Higher end processors in the same range are generally faster through greater power use, rather than being more efficient.

It looks like the upcoming 1.2.0 version of handbrake will support VCE and NVENC and is around 95% complete. That should drop CPU use right down, and fan buzz with it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:51:07 Mobile | Show all posts
So more cores and threads don't really lighten the load? It's like instead of having 4 guys lifting 1000 kilos and breaking out in sweat we'll have 6 guys lifting it. It gets easier to handle the load.

Besides I'm doing stuff on my PC while ripping DVDs. You know, multi-tasking, mostly watching Prime or YouTube but always on the net.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 03:51:08 Mobile | Show all posts
If those 1000kg are divided into 20kg sacks then you get a closer analogy. With two more people the load each carries doesn't change, it just takes less time as it's done in 9 trips rather than 13.

The demanding part of Video playback is also handled by dedicated hardware so your CPU is already devoting most of it's resources to encoding while you're waiting a video, and web browsing is long periods of idleness while you read the website.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 03:51:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I got my new CPU and the first thing I noticed that the heatsink is the same as the R3-2200G's. I'm like WTF? It turned out that this new CPU is running cooler. I'll know once I start ripping the DVDs again and see how it goes.

Update: It's doing great. The highest it got was 63C, The old CPU was hitting close to 80C.

It's slightly faster in ripping though.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部