View: 339|Reply: 2

What Intel i7 is this and could it be reused in a mini ITX or other desktop system?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 03:53:20 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Salvaged out of the wife's old 2013 Lenovo IdeaPad P500 (model no. 20210) is a core i7 CPU, that much I do know.  There are no markings to indicate which i7 it is, model number or anything like that.  Clues, maybe, on some numbers I can barely read:

Top left corner:
SR0MT
J236B054

Bottom left corner:
2L234072A

All the 0s appear to be zeros.

Wondering what CPU model it is, what socket type it is (it has pins on the bottom if that helps), and whether it can be salvaged and used in a new desktop PC, ideally mini ITX but not fussy.

Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 03:53:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Thats rPGA 946 type.
PGA = Pin Grid Array type socket. the r = reduced meaning reduced pitch between the pins.
These chips will fit laptop mainboards only.

The vast majority of mainboards available today take BGA ( ball grid array)  or LGA (land grid array ) type chips.

I don't think your going to be able to use it.
Not with any off the shelf cases or parts.
Not unless you want to get creative and try mounting the internals of a laptop into a custom case of your own design.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 03:53:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for that.  Suppose I could try flogging it on eBay but...

Anyway.  A true story.  Many many years ago while at University I shared a study with two bedrooms off it with a chap called Julian, who was in his physics final year at Royal Holloway.

His final year project was to build some sort of space ray detector and the college stumped up a few hundred quid (probably ten or twenty grand in today's money) for some fancy chip.

He's asked his Professor what would happen if he knackered the chip.

Reply? "You'll be doing a f#ck of a lot of soldering, that's what."

I'm not into soldering....
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部