Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:24:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Bang on mate

Depending on where you're running the cables you might need to make sure you get cable suitible for outdoor use, but the above will work

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:24:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Hello
I need big help. I'm new here & at the risk of sounding stupid really need help with this topic.  I started to attempt this, this morning to extend the wireless within the home from my new Virgin Media Modem/Router as it's not the best at wireless transmitting.
So trying to follow instructions from a magazine started on the settings changes within old (2nd) router to match router 1 and along the way it must have needed a restart or something & I remember a msg from my US Robotics USR5461 as it was rooting telling me to log into it's settings in future I'd need to use the i.p. address I'd assigned to it within the changes to match the 1st router but I don't remember getting to that stage and now I can't access it's settings to carry on or do anything at all.  Oh also the reset button on the back of the (2nd) US Robotics router doesn't reset and allow me to log into it's settings via 192.168.2.1  
I know I rushed it and I should have took more time & care.
Any help would be hugely grateful!
Thank you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:24:31 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd suggest you reset USR to factory default and start again using the instructions above. I would probably be a good idea to read through the instructions first so you're clear what you're going to be doing before you start.

To reset, many SOHO routers have some form of "reset" hole round the back which you poke a straightened paper clip into for a few seconds. Doubtless the manual will tell you and also what the default IP address and loginid/password are.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:24:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I intend to use my spare router as an extra switch but I do not need its wireless capabilities, its in the same room as my main wireless router.

Can I turn this off and if not is there any harm in leaving it on. Will it cause interference ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:24:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Depends on your router - have a read of it's manual and see if it will let you turn off wi-fi.  Leaving it on will cause interference with your "other" router/AP's if they are using the same or similar radio channels.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:24:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey guys, hope someone here can help me.

I have an O2 wireless box in my living room and an access point in my room connected via home plugs to the router. I'm currently running two wifi networks in my house. This has now become a bit annoying as often my phone/tablet will stay connected to one signal even if my other network has a stronger signal. I want to just have one network.

Apparently I can use my access point as a repeater (link to my ap below), but it only picks up the wifi signal of my router, it seems to ignore the fact it's connect via Ethernet (home plugs). I tried using it as a repeater but I had quite a few problems with my net connection so reverted back. Everything I find on google talks about a wireless repeater.

I do think the instructions above may fix my problem but I am a bit of a noob, so much that I'm not even sure how to change ip addresses!

Edimax EW-7228APN 150Mbps Wireless 802.11 b/g/n Range Extender/Access Point with 5-Port switch:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:24:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't bother using your AP as a "repeater" - it's not necessary (in your case.)

You're correct that "repeaters" ignore the ethernet link: That's their purpose, to "repeat" any radio transmissions they hear. One consequence of repeating is that it halves your wifi bandwidth as everything has to be transmitted twice - once for the original transmission and once for the "repeat" (hence the name) and these transmission cannot occur at the same time.

If you want to avail seamless "roaming" (as it's known) between the multiple AP's that have a cabled backhaul between them, all you have to do is ensure the wi-fi settings (SSID, security type, passphrase, etc.) are the same in all AP's. (Incidently, this is the best way to "do" wi-fi - "repeating" should only be used if you have no other choice and cannot establish cabled backhaul IMHO.)

Basically all the wi-fi settings need to be identical except the radio channel. It's best to use different radio channels so that the transmissions in each hotspot don't interfere with each other. For B/G one would choose them from the set 1,6,11.

If you want B/G/N with the fancy-smancy high bandwidth 40MHz (AKA "channel-bonded") high throughput tricks the N has available, you cannot find two non-overlapping radio channels in the 2.4GHz band, so just choose radio channels as far apart as you can get.

Note that it's the client devices that decide whether/when to roam, not the AP's. Some devices will doggedly hang on to a working link, even though there's a better one available. Some will constantly hunt for the something better. Some have a form of "roaming agressiveness" control, possibly in the NIC drivers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:24:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Cheers mate, this has been working perfectly for the last 24 hours!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:24:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the info, ive read it and im left totally confused being a bit of a techno div

My set up is basically as someone described above, I work out of a renovated part of a derelict house attached to my own house. I have a 30 metre approx lead connecting my PC to the home router, its fine for internet but wifi is just out of range.

Is there any simpler way of doing this by purchasing some hardware, or does any solution involve changing IP addresses and that sort of thing?

Thanks

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部