12Next
Back New
View: 422|Reply: 15

MKV ripped DVD Does Not Pause and Resume

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 04:35:31 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
My set up: MKV Ripped DVDs stored on External HD connected to laptop. Laptop, Onkyo AVR and Panasonic Blue Ray player connected to Onkyo via HDMI all connected to TPLink. Onkyo connected to Samsung TV via HDMI,
Playing ripped DVDs via Serviio Media Server on DLNA, when paused, it does not resume play. I have to stop it and start the from beginning again.
Real pain!
Where does the fault lie?
1. Ripping
2. Panasonic
3 Onkyo
4. Samsung TV or
5. Serviio
Any help would be most appreciated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:35:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Are you playing on the Samsung TV or Panny BD ?

Lack of proper pause/resume is from my experience usually a DLNA compatibility problem, if you look at the devices section in Serviio were it says generic DLNA device click on that and select a Samsung TV profile. Not sure if there is a Panny BD profile but selecting one of the Panasonic smart TV profiles may work.

If that doesn't correct it try Emby or Plex as DLNA media servers and see if they are able to play them without any issues.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 04:35:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I am using Panny BD.
At the time of my post the profile settings were as below.
Samsung TV=UE55JU7000-Profile set=Samsung TV/Player (J-series)- This appears to be correct.
Panasonic BDT110-Profile set=Panasonic BD player (this can have 5 other settings of various models)
Onkyo TX-NR609-Profile set=Generic DLNA profile- there is no other profiles available.
I will try (1) Samsung TV then  (2)Plex DLNA and feedback.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 04:35:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I thought I should feedback as I make changes.
With the above settings all MKV (MKV ripper), MPG (WinX DVD ripper) and Blue Ray (MKV>StaxRipper) were all playing but unable to pause,FF, resume.
By changing Panny profile to Panasonic Viera E/S/ST/VT (2011), all MPG rips play and able to pause,FFand resume.
However all MKV and Blue Ray rips do not play at all.I have downloaded Plex server and installed but unable to make use of it.
Any quick advice how to implement it?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:35:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you tried playing from a "bog standard" CIFS/SMB share...?  That may give some indication of whether the issue is with the player, the server app, DLNA or the media (files.) Along the same line of investigation,  you could try playing direct into the TV using a USB (if it will let you) thereby taking network and server out of the pathway and further informing what is culpable.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 04:35:35 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't understand the "bog standard" CIFS/SMB share...? If you could explain a bit.
Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:35:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Computers publish data onto a network using things called "shares" (which usually have name) - sometimes the technology underlying the mechanism uses processes to "advertise" the shares, sometimes not.

At present time, there's basically three types of technology (called "protocols") used to create network shares, one called CIFS/SMB (often and somewhat  inaccurately known as the "Microsoft" protocol) one called NFS (which tends to be mostly used on UNIX and derivative machines such as Mac's and NAS's) and a relatively new one called DLNA which is biased towards media sharing (and has a bit more automation in it to ease use for domestic consumers how, naturally, are mostly not IT professionals.) A lot of modern consumer NAS's can offer all three!

DLNA is often used by "active" media servers such as Plex etc. however it doesn't have to be. As such, sometimes such media servers have "active" processes behind them that mess with the data in flight.

CIFS/SMB (and NFS) are "general purpose" sharing mechanisms that can be used for any type of file, not just media.

So one way to assess whether the media server behind DLNA (if there is one) of the DLNA protocol is causing your problem, would be to use such as alternate sharing mechanism and take the media server process and/of DLNA out of the picture and use an alternate protocol that is still pulling the data over the network, thereby confirming that the network proper is not the cause of your problem.

From memory, to create a CIFS/SMB share on a Windows computer, pick a folder (any folder) right click it and in the "properties" somewhere there's a button to click to "share" said folder (you can name the share anything, though by default it's often the named the same as the folder.) Unsharing is much the same process in reverse.

Then from your player, depending how it and your network are functioning, you should be able to either "browse" the network as see what shares are available and connect to them or you may have to "teach" the player the computer and share name - but it usually is not difficult to do.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:35:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah it's definitely a profile problem, DLNA can be a little different among device makers which can break things.

In Serviio is there any newer Panny TV profile as 2011 is very old and back then Panny had terrible media players that could barely play anything which is may be why mkv support broke, try a profile from 2017 or later if available.

Another option is try asking on the Serviio forum if anyone can modify one of the Panny profiles to work better with your BD player.

As for Plex you must
1. Sign up for a free account on Plex website
2. Download Plex media server for Windows and install it.
3. Sign into Plex media server with your account.
4. Add media types like movies, music etc. then add folders to that category.
5. Plex will auto scan the folders, downloading artwork, metadata based upon file names of files.

The Plex DLNA server is automatically enabled so it should appear alongside Serviio on your Panny BD player, see if it behaves any better or worse...

Some Pannasonic products actually has network shared folder support (CIFS/SMB/Samba) this would allow bypassing DLNA (which is really a database layer between files/server/client) and allow the media player on the Panny to directly access the flies as if they were being played via USB. I think only certain Panny TV's had network shared folder support and it's extremely rare.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 04:35:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I thank all who have responded to my post.
I am looking to go the KODI route and see how I get on-it is a steep curve for me and my friend will help me.
xxx

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:35:36 Mobile | Show all posts
One last thing to try is an alternative to Serviio as a basic DLNA media server, it's called Mezzmo, there is a trial version as it does require eventual purchase.

See if that works out before you go down the Kodi path as that can be more complex than Plex.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部