HP Gen8 - Xpenology as Media Server?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:39:13 Mobile | Show all posts
May have spoken to soon

Now its all setup I was showing my wife how to play on the TV. But getting the following error when I select the NAS under devices on the TV:

"Cannot connect to the selected file sharing server.

Please check the network connection and server status."

It was working fine yesterday. When I go to network settings (where you add DLNA devices) it registers the NAS fine.

Was working perfectly yesterday :/
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:39:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Looks like it was an issue with the TV.

Wasted time checking all the settings on TV and NAS. Rebooted the NAS. All to no avail.

Then powered the TV off from the mains, it lost the DLNA settings completely. Entered them again. And now works again.

Looking at the DSM NAS logs, I can now see it shows the TV as having registered as a CIFS client. I can also see the same from yesterday. But don't see any such entries from earlier today. So whilst the TV was saying it had registered with the DLNA server it hadn't. I presume the TV got into a strange state/bug.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:39:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Actually it looks like Video Station will do everything I need after all.

I came across the following on their App instructions ( DS Video IOS APP):

Remote mode: You can also stream your Video Station library directly to an AirPlay/DLNA compatible TV (an Apple TV for instance) and Chromecast device by tapping                                                                                                                                                 . DS video becomes a remote control, and you don’t need to open Video Station in a web-browser on your PC or Mac. With this “remote mode”, the video is streamed directly from the Synology NAS to the TV, avoiding any quality loss or using extra network bandwidth. If you want to manage the video currently playing on the remote player, tap                                                                                                                                                 .
Note: The AirPlay/DLNA TV listed here are in the same network as the Synology NAS, not the iOS device, which means that if you are away (at friends for example) you cannot choose to stream to a TV in a different network from the Synology NAS. However, for a Chromecast, it will be detected if in the same local network as the iOS device, not the Synology NAS.In effect it means you can "cast" to a DLNA device on the same network as the NAS. You need to make sure the device running the DS Video App (i.e. your iOS device) also has the "AirPlay/DLNA renderer" privilege set on Video Station (which was counter intuitive as it isn't using DLNA).

So now when I press                                                                                                                                                  . on the DS Video App on my iPhone, my TV is listed.  Select it and any video I select in the App will now play on the TV. You dont need to do anything on the TV, it automatically switches from whatever you are watching. And you can use the App as a remote if you wish. Effectively I can just search through the library on the phone, which is easier anyway, then send it straight to the TV

Hope this helps anyone with the same setup. Saves me getting a chromecast for now. Will have to eventually when Panasonic drop the ball on updating apps (as all TV manufacturers do eventually).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:39:14 Mobile | Show all posts
i have an HP Gen8 Microserver running Xpenology 1.03b and DS3615 ( was running DS3617 but disk IO and transfer speeds were very slow, much better now ) with Synology 6.2.2-224942 update 3 ( had to disable the onboard LAN card in the Bios and fit an HP NC360T dual LAN card or you will lose the browser login ability ).
Running Plex Server on it and Plex app on TV, IPad and IPhone to access all films and music from wherever I am and you can turn off transcoding in the Plex settings along with reindexing etc to speed up your system if you have the standard CPU and memory.
checkout xpenology.com forum, if you have the time to reag through it there is a wealth of information, help and step by step setup instructions.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部