new NAS died :( - Synology 918+

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:41:19 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

i recently purchased a Synology nas - got a free 4tb hd and i installed a couple of 6tb WD drives...

so its been running fine for a few weeks, and i left if restoring a 1tb database this morning. After checking it a few hour later, the restore has failed, and the NAS is dead - there is a green light on the power supply, and i have also seen a green light on the Ethernet port, but it wont turn on or boot, and there is no sign of life, and the fans at the rear do not spin (even when i remove and insert the power cable there is no sign of the fans moving).

i assume its dead and has to go back for repair - has anyone else encountered this with a Synology NAS.

when they replace the NAS can i simply insert the drives in the same order as previous and it will 'work'?

cant believe how much data i will loose -

regards

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:41:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a DS213j, bought new, and it's been fine. The only problem I had is that I populated it with with a pair of 3 Tb drives (at that time the highest capacity available) and both failed within two months of each other. Fortunately that two month gap saved my data.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:41:21 Mobile | Show all posts
You might get lucky, if it's repaired & then returned if you keep the hard drives in the original order.

First, try removing the drives & see if you get any signs of life, or try any old drive pref small & try the setup again.

when everything is working, make back ups of your important stuff.

RAID is not backup.

If the drives are not in a raid, then you might be able to get data back, using a linux system (or bootable linux usb_) But I am no expert

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:41:22 Mobile | Show all posts
When the NAS is switched on, what are the colour of the lights for the drives ?

Where is your backup of your data ? If you had one you wouldn't be losing much if any at all.
As stated by bubblegum57, RAID is not backup. It only offers resilience before having to go to a backup.
Next, can you remember how you set up the NAS initially ? This will have bearing on whether you will just be able to insert the drives in the correct order to the repaired one and it will work again.

Did you give it a static IP address ? can you remember what IP address it has ?

Have you tried the getting started options to get to the NAS ?

Synology Web Assistant                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        find.synology.com                                                                                http://Synology_Server_IP:5000
http://Synology_Server_Name:5000/

Synology_Server_IP = its IP Address.
Synology_Server_Name = The name you gave it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:41:23 Mobile | Show all posts
As you say, keep the drives in the same order and they should just slot into your new Synology NAS if it needs repaired/replaced, as long as it has the same number or more bays, and it should all work fine.

I had a similar issue with a 2-year-old 8 bay and it was replaced with a newer model under warranty. I was back up and running within 20-30 mins of receiving the new NAS.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部