Author: rustybin

BT FTTP and WiFi discs

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:44:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Should it be plug and play? No passwords or anything? Thinking I can swap the cables over, change the ssid and passwords to the existing Hub and should all be seamless?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:44:56 Mobile | Show all posts
You will need to enter BT PPPoE login details on the new router, however its very easy to do. When you get the new router, use the setup wizard. At some stage it will ask you "does your internet service require a usernname & password?" (or something similar), Select "yes" and put in the following credentials:

username: [email protected]
password:
[if the router won't let you leave the password field empty, then just enter BT]

Then go through the wifi setup. Use unique wifi SSDs, i prefer to use something like XXXXXXXX_2G and XXXXXXXX_5G for the 2.4 & 5ghz bands respectively. Also I suggest choosing a wifi channel manually as the router algorithms used for the 'auto' channel setting don't always work well (even on the high end routers). if you're not in a congested wifi area, then use ch 6 for the 2.4ghz band and ch 44 for the 5ghz band.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:44:56 Mobile | Show all posts
And for any devices alongside your router you should run them via wired ethernet and leave wifi for devices that can o my connect wirelessly - this will maximise the available bandwidth for your wifi-only devices.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:44:57 Mobile | Show all posts
In conversation with BT  (good) few years ago, BT told me they don't check the userid and password used to authenticate the PPP connection - in their words "you can use anything." Some equipment insists that you provide something rather than leave it all blank (my old 3com user to be this way) but you could make up anything you like - however it certainly won't hurt to use the name Psychopomp advocates.

Incidentally, if you want to steer a particular client to a particular waveband, an alternate method to do so could be in the client device settings rather than "the system." For example, often laptops with dual band NIC's have switches in the NIC/Wi-Fi setting that will allow you to mandate or "prefer" one waveband over another. However, it wouldn't surprise me to learn "consumer" goods like game stations and so forth that are highly automated do not offer such as degree of control.

BTW, if you change routers, your local IP addressing will be carnage for a while, especially if you mostly use DHCP. Generally, if you just leave it alone for 24 hours it will sort itself out automatically. Power cycling everything after the router change may speed things up a bit. Any devices with "statically assigned" (manually ascribed) IP address might need some TLC.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:44:58 Mobile | Show all posts
This bt router is really sh*t.

Wednesday I was getting 100mb around the house. By Friday it was 30mb. Did a factory reset of everything yesterday morning and back up to 100mb. Now back to 25mb.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部