12345678Next
Back New
Author: WildeKarde

What mesh wifi?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 04:45:15 Mobile | Show all posts
LOL Mesh definitely means mesh to me

The problem comes, as undoubtedly you are familiar with, is that when you run on those consumer mesh units a wired backhaul you are effectively turning the access points (nodes) into bridged mode. When you do that, you are loosing all the benefits of the mesh network, and can safe yourself a lot of money by going to standard wireless access points. Then you can run them on the same SSID.

A mesh can be good, I've got 5 nodes in my home in order to provide the coverage required. If they are that far apart that you require a cable for a hub and spoke model then it will highly likely have dead spots anyway.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the above views folks. I had not really considered APs, let alone researched them on Google. Reviews are positive, I can control the kids' wifi access and at £50/dish, reasonably priced. I also want the freedom to link two of the units wirelessly should I encounter wiring obstacles and difficulties. I'm no expert in these matters and more a jack of all trades. Next job is to see if i can upgrade the Di2 setup on my bike to syncho' shifting and then wire up the atmos speakers for my 5.1.2 AVR setup.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Hope it’s ok to add onto this thread, currently using an access point but due to handover issues and further dead spots thinking of also moving onto a mesh network. Is it only the orbi system that offers an outdoor node?

Use magic Report

Ubiquity do one as well. Unless you have a specific need I wouldn’t limit myself to those who do.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
For the avoidance of doubt, so called "mesh" systems are Access Points - it's just that they have the ability to use Wi-Fi for the "backhaul" links between the AP's instead of or as well as (superior) wired links. Incidentally, none of this is particularly new, enterprise class kit has been able to do this more or less forever; it is just beginning to filter down to the SOHO market place and "mesh" seems to be the (latest) term the marketeers and domestic users have seized upon to sell it.

Some of the mesh systems, it seems, also offer a few things to optimise the radio usage (such a "tri band") and provide an integrated management platform. To do these sorts of things the AP's need to be able to "talk" to each other (and the management platform) which doesn't happen with a heterogeneous mix of AP's, hence the mesh/whole home system needs to be procured as a single "fleet" of compatible kit (like enterprise systems) either as a single "package" of kit or by ensuring any subsequent additions are compatible with any existing fleet. Again, just like enterprise systems.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Hi

Happy New Year to all. OP, I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread.

I am in the same boat, using my old netgear router as a wifi extender, having installed the Ring floodlight cams, I am still not happy with my wifi connection.

I have tried all the usual bits with the main router but no joy. So leaving in a 3 bed semi would I be better with the BT mesh system, or I am thinking of getting a Ubiquity AP, and plugging it into a plug in the attic. I do not have a ethernet run, so I am thinking of a home plug (don't want to drill holes to run the cable) to get the ethernet to the attic from the router and then connecting the AP to that.

The other option is installing the wifi plugs like these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-2g-13a-sp-switched-wi-fi-extender-socket-white/7706v

Thank you

Use magic Report

WiFi extenders are only as good as the connection back. If the signal was bad there in the first place then it will still be bad. Also they operate a hubspoke model, so regardless of how many you put in, each individual one needs to talk to the hub.

Yes you can run home plug 'cables' back to the hub (main router), and that can work very well if your electric is good and clean. The challenge is that you will likely still have dead spots then as the overlap didn't work the first time, however it may be good enough for what you require.

Those wifi extender sockets have a problem that;
a. They are wifi extenders, so each one is always needing to talk to the hub (main router), so in affect they aren't extended much at all.
b. They don't have a backhaul using the power cables, so only work within limits of range of the main router.

I find them rather pointless...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for your response.

The electric wiring in the house are about 15 years old, so should be okay (I hope), I presume the best option would then be a ubiquity AP with a cat 5 cable to from the router?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Yes - whatever AP you select (and there's plenty of options to choose from) realising the backhaul link using ethernet over UTP ("cat") cabling is the best option for performance and reliability.

Ironically when professionals are installing Wi-Fi on big sites (where dozens if not hundreds of AP's are required) often we have to install quite a lot of "new" cabling (not to mention switches, UPS's, etc.) as the ideal locations for then AP's rarely have cabling infrastructure in situ - it can really add to the costs which sometimes leaves the client looking puzzled if they had thought that "Wi-Fi means networks without (the cost of) wires!"

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thank you, please may I ask what others AP are worth looking at, especially if they are cheaper then the Ubi ones?

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部