Back New
Author: danj

BT - fttp - hub 6 issues

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 04:45:43 Mobile | Show all posts
OP,
First of all, i would try to rule out any issues with your FTTP line by simply connecting any PC directly to the ONT on its LAN port using using a PPPoE connection on your PC. If you get full line speeds on your PC then the issue is 100% with your equipment and nothing to do with Openreach/BT.

Also, unless you live in a huge new build home, you don't really need any powerline devices for wifi  - sometimes a simpler setup is often the best! My advice would be to connect the EA6900 router directly to the ONT (ie remove the HH6) as the EA6900 is a grea router for wifi (better than HH6) but ensure the Linksys is out in the open - you may need to use a long ethernet cable as I am assuming your ONT has been installed in an enclosed space. Manually choose wifi channels on the Linksys & use Acrylic wifi software to determine the least congested channels if necessary. Otherwise channels 6 & 44 work well on the 2.4 & 5ghz bands respectively if you're not in a crowded environment. Using this setup will almost certainly fix your issues.

Also worth remembering, your smart meter(s) work on the zigbee 2.4ghz band so you may need to use a non conflicting wifi channel.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:45:43 Mobile | Show all posts
again great advice, will give this ago tonight with the ont connected direct to the laptop.

Not a huge house, average 4 bed however the powerline is purely for taking the ethernet into the external garage so the new security cams can be POE'd via the two ethernet ports on the powerline. also the fact it extends the wifi means ill get slightly better wifi speeds at the end of the garden which is fairly big.

as you have guessed the openreach unit and router are in a cupboard under the stairs however wifi range has never been an issue so not ever needed to have it anywhere else.

the linksy will be more than capable of giving me what i need, actually the hub6 was untill recent issues.

Jobs: (change wifi password just in case)

1. Test the ont first to rule out any openreach/bt issues.
2. try linksy router - rules out hub6 issues
3. remove google home as issues started after this was installed
4. full test on each device being disconnected and then each one installed to see if one is causing the issue.
5. all else fails - burn house and move.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:45:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Good plan

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:45:44 Mobile | Show all posts
Yep the maximum amount of devices is always N - 1 where N is the number of devices you have plugged in

But seriously it does bug me when some people with a little bit of dangerous knowledge go off-script.  You haven't got an unreasonable number of devices, there are people with a lot more and these devices whilst clearly designed for home use will have a reasonable amount of headroom in them.

Agree with what the other posters have said but I would draw attention to this that you put

If the TV and Q are off not sure how they would affect it or do you mean standby?

I have seen various issues with Sky Q and Minis that have caused everything from flooding the network and killing the Internet connection to causing WiFi interference as they set their mesh up.

Do the other tests as described earlier but then eliminate Sky Q and Mini by powering them off at the wall to see if you the symptoms persist.

Whilst it could be related to Google it could also be a software update that may not have helped from Sky.  If they are hardwired then, then their wireless capabilities should also be disabled to prevent unnecessary interference.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
This is a bit like a Whodunnit with the last chapter ripped out.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Sky Q uses a private wifi channel, I had no end of problems with really low wifi performance. But using a wifi scanner found the my normal home wifi and Sky Q were clashing causing a massive performance issue.

I would highly recommend checking what 5GHz channels the HH uses and the Sky Q, making sure these are separated. A very simple way of doing this is by downloading a wifi scanner (not as daunting as it sounds!) and you'll see at least two wifi SSID's - one being your HH (you should recognise it as the wifi you connect to) and one being your Sky (SKY?????), of course you may see neighbouring signals.

The key is making sure they are separated so they don't interfere, for example in house I have -

SKY????? - channels 44 48
HOMEWIFI - channels 36  40

A good, free, scanner is Acrylic Wi-Fi Home.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
We are in a new build with FTTP and we used to have a HH6. Didn't have too many issues with it at all and I have far more devices connected that you do. about a year after being here I added 3 BT Whole Home Wi-Fi discs, two in the house and 1 in the garage, I then turned off the Wi-Fi on the HH6. Still no major issues really.

There was some functionality missing from the HH6 I wanted and therefore I replaced it with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X for £50 which worked well with my Whole Home Wi-Fi. No issues at all but I have since changed the Whole Home Wi-Fi with 3 Ubiquiti AC-Lites.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部