View: 389|Reply: 3

Do I need a network switch?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:49 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This is probably a stupid question that reveals my IT ignorance. I'm trying to work out whether I need a new wireless router or a network switch.

The situation is my Internet at home is provided by work. The wall connection goes to a work-provided Cisco wireless router, which only has one ethernet connection - that to the wall.

I need to connect a Hue Bridge. Hue Bridges need to be connected via ethernet to wireless routers in order to distribute their signal. Obviously I can't do that via the Cisco as it is, as there's no spare ethernet.

So, my question is, what's the best approach:

1. Buy a new wireless router?
2. Buy a network switch and put this between the wall outlet and Cisco router (would this allow the Hue Bridge to connect?)?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:50 Mobile | Show all posts
We'd need to know a bit more about your system. Model numbers of the router, what the connection from the wall is fed from and how work provide your internet.

I doubt a switch plugged between the wall and router will work, but supplying more information will assist
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:51 Mobile | Show all posts
It might also be an idea to talk to your employer's IT department. They might have some restrictions on what you can/cannot connect to "their" equipment and services or might otherwise be able to advise you what to buy. If you are really lucky, they might even provide it, so it'll do no harm to ask.

To echo Noiseboy - we need to know what "the wall" is connected and how to to advise further. You could post up a diagram - it doesn't need to be pretty, just scribble something in a Paint programme - we principally want to know the topology (what's connected to what and how) and the make/model of any equipment as best you can discern it. For example, there are literally hundreds of different devices made by Cisco, many that function differently whilst ostensibly "looking" similar from the outside, so best not to "just assume" it's a "router" - the make/model will tell us - you can usually find it on the "serial number" label if nowhere else.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:45:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks both. I'm glad I checked - I knew it wouldn't be straightforward! Fortunately I decided to contact the IT dept as suggested and they're providing a new router!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部