View: 656|Reply: 10

Advice on WiFi networking

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:55 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I currently have a basic setup of Virgin media super hub and 3 powerlines. The powerlines are ok but old and I'm certain could be improved.

I'm hoping to improve my WiFi signal, my super hub is downstairs but I have 2 bedrooms and a loft room to possibly send signals to.

I've heard a switch could be a good idea but I've no idea how to set this up and if it is right for me. A switch or powerlines upgrade seems the way to go? Could somebody please advise on what hardware I would need and maybe a link to a specific model? I don't want to spend hundreds, just improve the signal etc. Thanks in advance.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:45:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a virgin hub with it's crappy wifi signal.

I already had https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA9020PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-UK/dp/B01FFBN4MO/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=53917572435&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI847n093y4wIVibPtCh1mfQYYEAAYASAAEgJIRPD_BwE&hvadid=259134526514&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006692&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13706551461729497296&hvtargid=aud-615477028318:kwd-316635850761&hydadcr=25428_1819495&keywords=powerline wifi adaptors&qid=1565248756&s=gateway&sr=8-8

So, I ordered https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA8033PKIT-Gigabit-Passthrough-Powerline/dp/B07GFHQXBP/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=53917572435&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI847n093y4wIVibPtCh1mfQYYEAAYASAAEgJIRPD_BwE&hvadid=259134526514&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006692&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13706551461729497296&hvtargid=aud-615477028318:kwd-316635850761&hydadcr=25428_1819495&keywords=powerline wifi adaptors&qid=1565248867&s=gateway&sr=8-6

The latter has a wifi extender, but it doesn't seem to have made a big difference. I suspect my problem is, that the hub is in my hall running from socket on a spur. I very often get red led's on the powerline socket in my hall.

I have thought about buying a separate router & putting the hub into modem mode, but I don't really want another box.

So, iI have been considering wifi mesh systems, but again, don't want anymore devices plugged in.

Although not a mesh, I have considered. https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX7700/dp/B0756NR1C4/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2CIQNFADVIDT&keywords=nighthawk&qid=1565249181&s=gateway&sprefix=nighthawk,aps,158&sr=8-13&th=1

obviously, if you buy from amazon, you can return it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:57 Mobile | Show all posts
What are your existing Powerline adapters connected to ? Do they have WiFi Access Points incorporated ?
You're going to need additional WiFi Access Points (if you aren't already using them). The key things are how you connect the APs to your router, and if they are part of a coordinated AP system.

A switch isn't going to help your WiFi issues - it's just a way of increasing the number of ethernet ports on your system. A more detailed description of your existing setup (connected devices, router, powerline adapters and where they're located and how they're connected together (by WiFi, direct cable to router, via a powerline link etc.)) would help people to give useful advice.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:45:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Ok thanks, so my setup is simple. Downstairs, front of house I have the virgin media hub, this has a powerline connected to it. I have other 2 powerlines upstairs and 1 in the loft (2nd floor I guess).

The Devolo powerlines are old and basic these days, I think they may be 80MB which gives you an idea. My internet speed is supposed to be 100MB which I understand I'm unlikely to get but I'm wondering what is the best way to get a fast connection upstairs and in the loft. Think I have these:
Devolo 1382 85Mbps Powerline Adapter

Either invest in 4 new fast powerlines or setup something else. I would love to be able to stream videos over the network too between rooms/floors. Again, not exactly sure what I'd need for this, I think Plex maybe.

Use magic Report

I have a crappy virgin hub 3
I suggest if you do buy home plugs, buy from amazon
I think they don’t work well unless they are on the same ring main

Use magic Report

Kodi or plex will stream over a network
Try both
Although plex will stream better remotely

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:45:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I am increasingly looking at improving our wifi situation. We too have the Virgin SuperHub3 and the wifi is pretty rubbish really. I am running some Devolo plugs for a couple of devices (my Pioneer streamer and the Yamaha AV Receiver) as well as a Devolo WiFi extender downstairs (my vHub is upstairs in the study). Overall the wireless networking is getting steadily worse and so I am looking to be able to bypass the hub and just use it as a modem. Been looking at a few options but, frustratingly, most of the ones I have looked at there is a spread of people complaining or stating issues so it does put you off a bit. There were some good noises about the Ubiquiti Amplifi but several people report getting no real improvement in their wifi and also the extenders don't have any ethernet ports on them. Then the much praised Asus RT-AC86U but again, a number of issues and poor feedback. Ideally, all I am looking for is a setup where I can use the vHub just as a modem, have a wireless router that provides at least 4 ethernet ports and has stonking wireless coverage and reliability where I can also configure it to manage the IP addresses of all my home connected devices plus configure it to use a more reliable DNS service than the vHub, create a guest wireless network so visitors can have access but without having to give my main access password to them. Ideally it would be nice to not have to add any other extenders to the system but as my connection point is upstairs I appreciate that I might need to do that and have an extender downstairs that provides better, stronger and more reliable service downstairs and even into the garden (only the bit near the house really, don't need it all the way down to the bottom). Doesn't seem like too much to ask but it still seems be a struggle to find something that is universally liked and does the job. All at a not too extortionate price.

Use magic Report

Use magic Report

@Cribbster
I agree, the Asus RT-AC86U is a great router but a major complaint against it is that the 2.4ghz radio on it fails very quickly (think months). Definitely not acceptable for a router costing around £200. I recommend getting the Netgear R7800, which sits on the top of the router charts  for wifi range/coverage on smallnetbuilder.com. It usually sells for £150-£170 on amazon, however every now & again Amazon have it on for sale at £130 which is almost a bargain.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I would be cautious about a lot of opinions about Wi-Fi stated online - a lot of them are ventured by people who literally have no idea how Wi-Fi really works and thusly they buy into the myths and reach the wrong conclusions. They may be well meaning, but well meant nonsense is still nonsense. Thusly, a lot of Wi-Fi ills get attributed to the "router" (or AP) when it's more likely to be some environmental issue (such as a new interference source) or a client issue: No-one ever wants to attribute Wi-Fi issues to their client device - especially if it's got a picture of an apple on it - it's always pre-concluded that anything wrong "must be the routers fault." The case cited "my Wi-Fi is not working as well as it used to" is classic symptom of something environmental (say a neighbour has switched channel or bought a new car using 2.4GHz radio for it's keyless entry, you microwave oven is leaking, etc) rather than a problem with the router itself - though of course, router can go wrong, but it tends to be spectacular and catastrophic rather that a slow gradual degradation before an eventual death.

I might suggest you are more likely to find informed opions here at AVF and I also quite like Tim at SMallNetBuilder.

If your SH is routing well enough, then I'd leave it alone and just turn off it's Wi-Fi is that's all that's troubling you. Indeed, as "bad" as you might believe it to be at Wi-Fi, I'll bet it's serving it's immediate (physical) locale well enough, so there's an argument to say you "may as well" leave it on and fix the outlying areas (by deploying more AP's.)

Where life gets tricky is in deploying a "guest" network over multiple devices - essentially a second network (Wi-Fi or wired.) We do this kind of thing all the time in big business using technology called VLAN's which allows us to create multiple networks (often dozens) sharing the same physical kit, but the VLAN's keep the traffic for each network separated from each other in flight between and within the AP's/switches/routers.

If you want a guest network with multiple Wi-Fi hotspots, you need to figure out how to keep the "guest" network traffic separate from the "main" network as it transits between multiple AP's (VLAN's in the best way.) There's more to it than just deploying AP's that can sport multiple SSID's. Most SOHO kit doesn't offer such a "guest" network facility apart from single router solutions that do this "in a single box" - e.g. my WD router does so and BT routers offering their "FON" solution do similar, but they couldn't extend it to additional AP's as they lack the VLAN capability.

Some of the newer "whole home" type systems might offer this sort of thing (better still if they automate it all) in which case (conversely to something I said earlier) you may indeed need to junk your existing router (and/or use it only as a modem) as the first "box" of the whole home system might need to be that which connects to and routes traffic to from your ISP and would be the point where guest and main traffic is initially divided.

You might consider contacting your ISP and see if they offer anything that avails the facilities you want. If not, you need to dig into the spec. sheets and be sure whatever you want to buy offers what you want. Multiple AP's serving a single network is dead easy, AP's offering multiple SSID's is also dead easy (though most SOHO devices don't,) keeping the traffic from each SSID separate in flight between AP's and thence to/from the Internet is a bit harder but do-able. So don't "just assume" that because an AP offers multiple SSID's it is suitable for traffic separation - you need to look for the VLAN capability (and everything else in your network needs to play nice too.)

We can get into the detail more if there is interest.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部