View: 399|Reply: 2

Media server > TV's - Broadband speed relevant?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:46:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
So i have a rasperberry pi running a plex media server, it's connected to my router via ethernet cable. I then watch content from this on my TV's which connect via WiFi.

Simple enough. But how is his content sent from my media server to the tv's.. i thought it was uploaded from my media server and downloaded by the TV, but speaking with a friend he said my internet broadband has no relevance as it's all on the internal network (not going out and back in)

Basically i have a virgin media 350mbps connection with a 35mbps upload and looking to downgrade this if possible... the only reason i've kept it this long is i thought i needed it to smoothly distribute my media from the media server.

So is this correct, does the download/upload of my broadband affect watching things on my media server or is it all internal network.

i hope this makes sense!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:46:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Your friend is correct - your broadband has no effect at all on local traffic - your local media isn't going up to the Internet and back down again, so the speed of your broadband is irrelevant.

Try it if you like - kick off a few video streams and unplug your broadband cable and see if it makes any difference; it shouldn't. Your broadband speed (actually it's the capacity that's really important) is only relevant for stuff you stream from the Internet - iPlayer, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

In the sort of "packet switching" networks we have at home, the traffic takes the most direct path (fewest "hops") from source to sink unless you go out of your way to make it happen otherwise.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:46:12 Mobile | Show all posts
deleted by me
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules