View: 341|Reply: 2

Backup folders on PC to NAS on a different network

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:50:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'd be very thankful if anyone could help me here. I've just bought a QNAP and I want to do the following:
a) place the QNAP on my holiday home
b) backup folders on my PC to NAS (it will be on a different network, 100 km away)
c) I can't use QNAP's own backup program (NetBak Replicator) because instead of backing up "Test" (on my PC) to "Test" (on the QNAP) it instead creates an unwanted path on the QNAP - "\\NASXXXXX\Test\NetBakData\[email protected]\Disk G\Test". This artificial path renders the backup useless for my intended purposes.
d) some backup/sync software also create unwanted paths (like NetBak Replicator does) but some don't. I always use the ones that don't, like FreeFileSync or Goodsync, but I've only used those to backup to USB, never to a NAS on a different network.
e) although I'm very proficient with computers I have zero experience with stuff like SFTP, FTP, etc., so any configuration to allow FreeFileSync or Goodsync to backup to the QNAP on a different network will need to be explained in detail and step by step.
f) alternatively, if there is any way of making NetBak Replicator behave normally and not create artificial paths that would also be a viable (actually preferable) solution
Thanks in advance for any help
Pedro

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:50:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Resilio Sync Home - the fast and secure way to get all your files on all your devices

I use Resilo to do something similar to you - I have it running on my server at home and a NAS at my parents house, and it just syncs them both on an ongoing basis.  It's really simple to set up.

It's been excellent for me.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:50:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register