View: 380|Reply: 5

Router Recommendation

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:51:25 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all, just after some advise on upgrading my router. I have fibre connection straight to the house with an ONT in the cupboard. I currently have the supplied router ZTE ZXHN H298N which I don’t think even has dual band. I am finding I am getting drop outs and inconsistent WiFi. I have a lot of kit that uses the internet, 2x Xbox Ones, Nintendo switch, sky Q, 4 Smart TV’s AVR, 3 iPads, 2 mobile phones, Harmony Hub, Phillips Hue bulbs, google home etc etc.  I also use home plugs to hardwire TV, Xbox, and AVR. So just after some advise on some routers that would cope with all this without drop outs etc. Not sure on budget really, I guess the cheapest that will cope well with it all? But any recommendations will be welcome. Looking at the Netgear Nighthawk range but there are a few different options? 7800 or 8000 and they do a 8000p version so maybe one of these would do the job well?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:51:26 Mobile | Show all posts
As you appear to have many wifi clients, go for the Netgear R8000P, as its a tri-band router and the extra 5ghz wifi band comes in very handy when you have a tonne of wifi clients. Though its not cheap at £197.

Otherwise the Netgear R7800 (dual band not tri-band) is the obvious choice and its currently priced at £130 from Amazon, which is almost a bargain - its usually sells for around £170. The R7800 is the # 1 rated router for wifi range & coverage on Smallnetbuilder.

I should also add - whichever router you go for - it needs to be out in the open otherwise you will find the wifi signal severely limited if the router is in an enclosed space such as a cupboard or TV cabinet.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:51:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you. I have gone for the 7800 due to the discounted price and I am sure it will be loads better than what I have so should suit my needs. I will ensure I place it out side of the cupboard where the ONT is.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:51:27 Mobile | Show all posts
I got this yesterday. It may not be as good as you hope. I too have a 68u. I put them beside each other as AP's and ensured they both had free channels to minimise interference) and found that the signal in my bedroom (furthest away) was the EXACT same between the two. The speeds weren't much different either. That is running the latest firmware.

I have already arranged a return with amazon and will try the Asus 86u instead. So, don't get your hopes up and check it thoroughly before you agree to keep it.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:51:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Errrrrr.... the OP has had the R7800 for ~ 2 months, so he/she may be perfectly happy with it

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:51:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Apologies! I didn't realise the date! (DOH!)

HOwever, I would be keen to hear how they are getting on in terms of speed. It would help me realise if mine was just faulty.

Apologies again!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部