View: 448|Reply: 1

PS4 and Powerlines

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 04:52:55 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Have a PS4 connected via a TP Link Powerline and have been seeing weird degradation of the connection through testing over a short period of around 30 minutes.

Basically was seeing some lag and tested the internet connection using the pretty crappy built in PS4 tool. I was getting around 3.2mbps DL and 50mbps. Running tests every couple of minutes and it got slower and slower every time until it 'peaked' at the numbers I was getting at first. Tried the same thing with the Ookla speedtest using the PS4 browser and got same results with a ping peaking at 199ms .....eek!

What could be causing this? I know Powerlines are not the best but it's always been pretty robust.

Admittedly we live in a busy family home with multiple things all leeching off the connection but this is at night with most devices switched off.

Worth mentioning that the wi-fi connection seems pretty stable but has shown to be unreliable when gaming.

Keep thinking I'd like to pick up a new router (on virgin superhub) to give me some better control of the network. I'm a bit of a Networking luddite so any advice is welcome - thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:52:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Routers do not "control" networks: LAN's are peer level entities with nothing "in charge." A (SOHO) router is just one such device that happens to avail a few useful services such as DHCP and a gateway to the Internet. Some routers might exert a degree of control over the Internet usage, (for example, shaping or prioritising traffic) but nothing "controls" the LAN proper.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部