Extending both Phone & Data socket - BT Master 5C

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:53:19 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello all,

I have just purchased a house with an inconvenient position for my router/house phone. I want to move it so I have both the house phone and router in my living room.

I have the MK4 Bt Openreach Master 5C and the faceplate has a RJ11 & RJ45 connection for both phone and router.

I have ran an outdoor CAT5E cable outside and round into my living room and was hoping to be able to connect both my phone and broadband but I am having a little trouble. I originally thought that if I connect the 2,3 & 5 terminals on the backplate to the same terminals on the new faceplate in the living room and attach a filter then I would be able to get both signals but that is not the case. The broadband doesn't work. I then read that I need to connect to the A & B terminals on the detachable faceplate but this only allows for my broadband to work.

Can someone please advise as to how I get both my Phone & Broadband through my new faceplate in my living room?

Thanks in advance

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:53:20 Mobile | Show all posts
235 are filtered for phone extensions hence no BB.

What faceplate do you have in the living room (assuming the MK4 is the master)?

Wiring A&B should work. The docs do mention data wiring only and your results would imply filtering.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:53:21 Mobile | Show all posts
There is no terminal 3 on the backplate. 3 is the bell wire on the extension side.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:53:22 Mobile | Show all posts
The following advice is at your own risk, as everything upto the existing master socket is BT's / Open Reaches property. Changing their configuration is done at your own risk and in no way do I endorse anyone interfering with their equipment.

The following advice is given a theoretical exercise in how you could extend the cabling of a BT Master Socket without incurring an engineer call out charge.

---------------------------------------------------

On your new BT master socket, Remove the faceplate, then remove the plate that has the master socket in it, there will be A&B terminals. Connect a pair of the new CAT 5e cable to these terminals (remember which colour went to which). Reassemble your master socket plate and new face-plate

Disconnect the Original BT Master Socket face plate and remove the plate containing the single master socket, you need to unscrew or remove the A&B wires (remember which colour went to which terminal) of the BT Drop cable (dont let them touch).

Using Jelly Crimps (grease filled crimps) connect the other end of your Cat 5e cable, remember which colours you used previously, to the two wires of the drop cable.

Job done. Leave the Original BT master socket in-situ as you will need to re-instate it if you move or have problems.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:53:23 Mobile | Show all posts
There's no issue at all if the two wires touch themselves. It's not like mains voltage, you won't short circuit and blow anything.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部