View: 933|Reply: 30

Moving bt home hub

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:55:56 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all. We have just signed up to bt bb and we have a hub downstairs in a shoe cupboard. But we need it upstairs in the living room been quoted 200 for bt to do it  ut thought I'd ask here first.

The hub is below the living room as we are in a new build 3 story.

Have virgin at the min and I have x box ps4 sky q and Netflix in front room  and TV with Netflix and a switch in dining room.

Many thanks.

Damo

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:55:58 Mobile | Show all posts
By "we have a hub downstairs in a shoe cupboard" do you mean you have a Openreach FTTP ONT in a cupboard along with the hub? If so, can't you run an ethernet cable from the LAN port on the ONT to where you want the router located? You - the end user - are NOT allowed to move the ONT (its against your CP's T&Cs) so if you want this moved then only Openreach can do this.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:55:59 Mobile | Show all posts
I could... bit that would need me running cables round the housem or start drilling hige holes through floors. Not ideal.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:55:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Why not put the router on the same floor as the fibre ONT but out in the open? This would mean cabling is kept to a minimum. New builds often have wafer thin walls so are very Wi-Fi friendly.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
For the avoidance of doubt, can the OP confirm what kind of service delivery they have (e.g. ADSL/VDSL/FTTP/etc.) If OP were to post up a picture of the presentation, chances are someone here will recognise it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:55:59 Mobile | Show all posts
They are sending out a new hub though. Which I'd presume I would just swap over.

Use magic Report

So you're definitely on Openreach FTTP as the photo is of an ONT along with a battery back up unit (BBU).

Just to re-iterate, placing the Home Hub (or any other router) in the cupboard where the ONT is located is definitely not recommended as it will severely degrade the wifi signals. No need to put the router on a different floor, just somewhere out in the open will do on the same floor as the ONT, use a short-ish ethernet cable to connect the two. You may need a different router though as the Home Hub 5 isn't the best for wifi - however try it first in an open space and if no luck, then go for something like the Netgear R7800 or TP Link Archer C3150 which should easily cover a 3 storey new build.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:00 Mobile | Show all posts
So the router they are sending isnt to replace the one in the cupboard.?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:00 Mobile | Show all posts
The "thing" in the cupboard isn't a router, it's a (sort of) modem - though on fiber it's probably the voice service termination also - essentially for voice it's the digital to analogue converters that would have been "the other end" of your line in the exchange when you had a copper analogue circuit plus the digital (Internet) service presentation. I'll bet there's two wires hanging out of it, one for analogue phones and one for Internet.

So you'll need a separate router wherever you locate said router.

The connection between modem and router will be over ethernet (over UTP cable) and ethernet can be run up to 100m within standards - if your cable is good enough it may go even further. Ethernet does not "degrade" with distance, it's exactly the same (speed) at 1m or 100m so you have lot's of scope to experiment with positioning your router if you install a long enough cable between the service presentation/modem and your router.

Unlike some ISP's, BT used to be cool about whether you used their router or not. Many people report that BT's later routers are actually rather good, hence we suggest you try it for a few weeks and experiment a bit with positioning before deciding whether you need something "better." I'd give it a week or two in each position, not just stick it in for five minutes and walk around with a client "counting bars" unless it's truely dreadful. Wi-Fi is incredible fickle and can vary from minute to minute.

Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, at or close to the permitted max. There's no magic "uber-router" out there with "much better signal" than everyone else's because it simply isn't allowed by law. In any case, Wi-Fi is two-way radio like walkie-talkies not one-way radio like television. If you were to "fix" a poor service by making one transmitter louder, it would make little difference unless you could also make all the clients (phone, tablets, laptops,) louder too. Think of it in terms of sound. If you cannot hear someone in another room and you give them a megaphone, one cannot maintain a conversation unless you get you get a megaphone too. The solution to poor Wi-Fi is to get the communicating peers closer together with unobstructed line of sight (again think of sound - if you can't hear someone, you move closer to them,) which usually means putting up additional Access Points (AP's) closer to where the clients are. On big sites we put up hundreds.

So experiment a bit with router positioning as has we've suggested, but if it doesn't provide a good enough Wi-Fi service, come back a talk to us and it's possible the best solution (including best VFM) would be some additional AP's closer to wherever you do most of your Wi-Fi'ing.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:56:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Correct, they are not sending you an ONT replacement - the fibre ONT is not a router.

I suspect BT aren't sending you a "replacement" router at all, they are sending you a new router which you will need to connect to the ONT. But as I said, the BT Home Hub (or whatever they send you) needs to to be placed out in the open.

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部