View: 608|Reply: 17

Recommend a better router?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:20 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm getting fibre broadband installed tomorrow, in rural Ireland.

The router that my provider offers is this one:
Technicolor TG588v v2 Small Business Router (Thomson) | ADSL device | ProVu Communications

And from a quick look around it seems that the reviews are not good. Any recommendations for a better one?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:21 Mobile | Show all posts
"Better" in what way...? If you have some specific requirement, perhaps you can spell it out in a bit more detail.

I suggest you do not rush to pre-judge or over think something that you haven't even tried yet. Let the supplied router and ISP kit in the telephone exchange do their thing and leave them to "train" the line - it can take a week or two before it "settles" on the optimum performance in terms of speed and reliability (and it may drop the connection a few times whilst it's so doing.) Then live with it for a few weeks and see what you think. You may find it's just fine for your needs and you can just get on with Internetting and life in general.

There is something of an Internet Myth that all ISP supplied routers are inherently inferior, but I just don't buy into it: I'd be willing to bet that BT, Sky, Virgin, et al have between them got an installed base of literally millions of customers who think their supplied routers are just fine.

Once you've tried out what you get for a while, you'll be in a position to take a view on what's not working well enough for you which will thence inform what you need to do to "fix" the problem, including informing any advice you might get through these columns.

For example, if you have Wi-Fi range issues, is will almost certainly be better a better solution (including value for money) to keep your router and invest in additional Wi-Fi cells rather than forklift replace the ISP's router. However, until you've tried it for a while, you won't know whether you have a problem or not.

Equally, if the router isn't maintaining the ISP link very well then, particularly for a new install, it's up to your ISP to fix the problem - you're paying them for the service, they should provide it and if they don't then nag the ISP and (ultimately if needbe) cancel, get you money back and take your business elsewhere. It's not down to you to fix it if the ISP cannot provide the service they've sold you.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Well the one in question has 6 reviews on amazon, with an average score of 2.1/5.

Searching on Irish sites, there are endless complaints from customers of this provider about the router being cheap rubbish. But their broadband deal was by far the best so I figured I'd put the savings towards better equipment!

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:56:23 Mobile | Show all posts
That's quite a poor wifi router by today's standards, its only 2.4ghz with no 802.11ac. So yes, there are far better routers out there if wifi is important.

If money is no object then something like the Billion 8900AX, Netgear D7800, TP Link VR2800 or Asus DSL-AC88U are your best bet. They are the latest 4 stream Wave2 Mu-Mimo wifi routers &
support both ADSL & VDSL lines.

If you want something a bit cheaper then the TP Link VR900 is a good balance between performance & cost.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks @psychopomp1

That Asus one looks like a drone, lol.

I wouldn't say money is no object, but I don't mind spending decent money to get a good result.

That said anything will be better than what I've had. Until now I've had about 2mbps broadband and one of these rickety old Zyxel routers:

Going to 150mbps fibre should be a massive leap but no use having that if my WiFi is crap.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:56:23 Mobile | Show all posts
I assume your 150 Mbps service will be pure fibre (fttp) in which case you don’t need a router with a modem built in - any  router will simply connect to the gpon fibre terminal (ONT) installed in your home. If true, then buy a standalone router such as the Netgear R7800 or TP link Archer 3150 as they are cheaper than the routers I mentioned earlier but with similar Wi-fi performance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Pure fibre (I think).

The guy just came today and ran the fibre line into the house, spliced it into a terminal and there is an ethernet socket on the terminal for me to run to the router.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:56:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Ok great, in that case plug in any standalone router into the LAN/RJ45 socket and bobs yer uncle. You may need to setup the connection as a PPPoE service - in UK, Openreach FTTP lines require PPPoE based authentication but no idea if the same applies in ROI (ask your ISP if req'd).
Btw this is the fibre GPON terminal Openreach installed in my home:

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Well the fibre install went ahead fine. Just waiting for the router. Apparently the freebie router isn't the Technicolor one after all, it's a Fritzbox 7530 which has much better reviews.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 04:56:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah i was slightly surprised why you were being given a low spec (802.11n) router by your ISP for a FTTP line. Anyway the Fritz 7530 should perform well, no need to buy another  router as Fritz kit is usually good quality.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部