Internet Connection Dropping when using Homeplugs

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:35 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi

I have had a few issues with the internet and due to the extension from the master socket to the upstairs room not being good, the master socket has been changed to the new VDSL ones. The speed  is now as expected but the router needs to be near the front socket, however in order to get the network to the room upstairs I am using a set of home plugs.

What I have noticed is that I keep loosing connection, the router reboots quiet often. I think the issue is due to the homeplugs.

I have updated them to the latest firmware, is there anything else I could do to trouble shoot the issue?

I know the best option would be to run some cat 5e, but at present I want to try and get a stable connection using the homeplugs before I start drilling holes in the wall to get the cable out and up the side wall.

Thank you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:36 Mobile | Show all posts
So does the issue occur with the home plugs disconnected? If so, they are not to blame, but if they are causing the issue it's likely to be radio interference rather than anything to do with the network side.

You can try moving the plugs around - run a longer Cat5e cable to the router and physically separate them as much as possible. Personally, I don't have any such issue, using TP-Link AV1000 spec homeplugs. I get 56 meg on the connection into the home and 39 meg via the homeplugs, so that's quite acceptable for 4K streaming alongside heavy internet use!!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Its also worth noting your connection speed with and without homeplugs fitted; when we were on standard ADSL, my partner's son fitted HPA and our dsl connection dropped to 13mb...

Ok, a lot of HPA's are horrendously noisy, especially in the 30-2000MHz band. Because OFCOM doesn't do it's job properly, it allows manufacturers to self-certify that their products meet EU and International standards on EMI... so of course they all self-certify that their product complies with regulatory standards. Ironically, one of the biggest offenders many years ago insisted on having green triangular stickers on telephony devices. I understand they tried 'notching' their HPA's due to complaints from amateur radio operators.

What can you do? Isolate the problem as suggested above.
If the problem only occurs when the HPA's are on, contact the manufacturer and ask for a means of applying an RF filter. If you have any ethernet coming from the HPAs, you could try putting snap-on RF chokes around the ethernet cable as close to the HPA as possible. These used to a couple of quid from Maplins... used to be.

You may not need to drill holes. Flat ethernet cable is a boon, Runs under carpet, in gaps between skirting board and floor (or wall), under doors, or between door and frame.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you both for replying and suggestions.

My actual setup is as follows

BT Smart Hub - Av1200(1)
AV1200 (2) - UAP AC PRO
AV1200 (3) - Netgear Switch - Two PC

Two days ago I removed plug 3 and just left 1 and 2 connected. It was all working fine, 2 days without the router rebooting. So today I came home and switch AV1200 (1 and 2), with 3 and 4 which is the pair to 3.

In less than an hour the internet dropped and the router re-booted twice. Plugs were a gift so contacted Amazon and had a chat with their CS. They will issue me a gift card and I can then buy a new set. Just waiting on the return label. Fingers cross, the next set I buy are not a problems. I have been using TP Link Plugs for some time and they have been working fine. But looking online I have seen a number theards with the re-booting issues.

Will update once I get the new ones.

Thank you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Oddly enough it was TPLink plugs the brat^6^6^6 oy fitted

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry another update.

The two plugs were swapped by Amazon, but using the smart hub I was still getting a disconnection. I swapped back to the PlusNet hub one, and it would be okay for 4-5 days and drop the connection.

I am now trying a netgear d7000 v1 which until yesterday was working fine just over 5 days, then yesterday evening there was no internet connection, so rebooted the router and all back up.

Now need to see how long it last before it either drops the connection or completely disconnects.

Thank you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 04:56:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Why not spend a few quid on a sufficient length of CAT5/6 cable long enough to reach from router to wherever upstairs, remove the HPA's, and use Ethernet. If nothing the problems go away, you've found the culprit; HPAs.

If they persist, it is [probably] not the HPAs.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 04:56:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi

Not worried about the cost of the cable, it is the running them from the front door to the upstairs room and to the dining room neatly and out of sight .

All homeplugs are new so could be something else. Going to test the netgear for some time and if it drops again then will get in touch with the isp first to see if they can find any issues at their end.

Thank you

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部