Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
Back New
Author: coto37

Help with Nas setup

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:06:27 Mobile | Show all posts
That is how RAID 1 ("mirrored") works, but its purpose is to facilitate continued access to data in the event of a disc failure, not "backup" in the proper sense.

For example, if you put a your wedding video on your RAID1 volume, then the kids record Trumpton over it, the wedding video is gone from all discs, RAID does nothing to save you. Likewise any other event that causes corruption to stored data (virues, crypto locking, accidental deletion, etc. etc.) as well as the physical risks (flood, fire, theft, etc.)

"Backup" means maintaining a (often "point in time") replica of the data "somewhere else." How often to create such instances, how many to retain and where to keep them depends on the risks you wish to mitigate and cost you are prepared to bear.

For example, if you rip a load of DVD media, there's almost no point in backing it up elsewhere as you have the original media and can simply re-rip it. Albeit, that it will cost you some time and not being able to watch Star Wars (again) this week is hardly the end of the world.

Whereas for a business, it's lifeblood is it's data and they cannot afford to be without it for any amount of time, so buisneses are willing to spend lots of money on things like RAID and lots of backups to mitigate the risks.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:06:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh I see what you mean.

Do you have any expirience with Asustor or Zyxel Nas?

Thanks,
Isaac.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:06:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Your problem is not going to be ethernet, or wired, or what brand of NAS.

It is going to be "how do I play 4K content on my TV from my NAS?"

A NAS will simply send a stream of bytes to a device that has requested that stream of bytes. What device is going to request the film?

I use a Popcorn Hour Box (PCH-A300) as a media player - it logs into the NAS, I select a film, the PCH then plays the film from the NAS and outputs to the TV. The keypoint, it is the PCH that requests the file (a film), is sent a stream of bytes, and decodes them into a picture and an audio track.

The TV cannot log into the NAS. It relies on the NAS running Plex to advertise a video, and the NAS then trasncodes that video stream into a format it understands. Frankly, it rarely works. The NAS processor is optimised to store data on disks and present a simple web front end for management. It struggles to transcode 720p video in real time and push that over a network to the TV. Forget 1080p, it freezes, breaks-up, distorts. To serve 1080p, I would have to let the NAS transcode it to a local file at least 24hrs in advance.

I wouldn't even try 4K.

Then of course, how are you going to get your source material onto the NAS? It takes me an hour to rip one 1080p from BD to NAS, using H.264 encoding. 4K requires the H.265 codec; not just more data to copy and compress, but an even slower encoding codec.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:06:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Hello,

I do not know if my samsung can access the nas, but my lg can with the webOS system. Actualy there is a youtube video that explains how to access with lg. Both TVs are DLNA compatible and I think I can access with that. (correct me if I am wrong).

My father for example can access his nas with his panasonic TV and the TV deals with reading the file and playing the film with no other third party program. But his smart tv got a bit old and he had to get an external device and works no problem.

Plex I am going to give it a miss. I prefer the TV to do the job, and in the case of my samsung, I will use my computer to do the job because of the DTS decoding that my Q6FN can not do.

Later on when I run in compatibility problems, or want to move my computer to another room, I will get something like the Himedia q10 pro, Dune or popcorn hour box. But I think with what I have right now, I can play everything no problem and I am covered. LG has been able to play everything on my USB drive and for the Samsung I have my computer becouse of the DTS.
Later on, when the new H266 codec comes out for example, I will get an external device if needed.

So becouse I am not going to use plex, I do not need the NAS to do the transcoding. And I know I can play even the 4k hdr files direcly from the NAS, I do not need one of the very powerfull ones to transcode.
I just need it to be a Network HDD for everything on my network.

I am new with this stuff so I do not know much, maybe I have missed something.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:06:31 Mobile | Show all posts
It takes me 20-30 mins to rip a Bluray, about double that for a UHD.

There's no encoding going on, you're just reading and copying data and muxing it into a container.

If you were encoding it, it would take many, many hours.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部