Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
Back New
Author: Mister_Tad

Thunderbolt 10GbE adaptors

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:07:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Bit of an update here, for those that may be interested.

I had a QNAP QNA-T310G1S delivered today - working nicely so far.

I ordered the SFP  variety, as I intended to use it with fibre for now, and it offers flexibility for the future. I was a little bit concerned about this because QNAP's product pages continually refer to DAC cables being recommended/supported and nothing about optics, but had no trouble at all plugging-and-playing with an 10Gbit Intel SR transceiver.

There's no problem running the NIC directly attached or on the TB dock, though Windows does recognise it as different devices in each case - so if setting a static IP best to do it on the network side to be consistent (as always!). I only noticed this because I set 9k frames direct attached, and then plumbed it through the dock and wondered why the difference - they had been reset as if it were a new adaptor.

Now performance on and off-dock is the same.

In terms of that performance... it's just okay. Sequential file transfer from the NAS are clocking in at around 650MB/sec down, 500MB/sec up - I'm not yet sure what the limiting factor is or whether there's more to come. I know the NAS to be capable of far more in practice, as is the NVMe drive in the laptop in theory/benchmarks - . There are a fair few services ticking along on the NAS, along with a number of VMs (though they should be mainly hitting the SSD cache), so I'm going to start with performance tuning in windows and see how I get on.

It's cabled directly to my core switch (Ubiquiti US-XG-16), and the NAS is connected to the same switch over 2x10GB LACP LAG.

Generally though, not perfection, but definitely recommended for those that can use/benefit from it!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部