View: 1348|Reply: 6

Comtrend PowerGrid 902 - Flashes all three LEDs and doesn't work anymore

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:07:38 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
So I have the Comtrend PowerGrid 902 (ethernet over power), and until recently, I was working fine (for about 1 1/2 years).
Now one of them when plugged in is flashing all 3 lights red (it goes top to bottom in sequence)

I've tried holding the reset button but it does nothing. Is that one adapter broken, the other one seems fine?

I can't find any mention in the manuals or online of them making this pattern.

Help

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:07:39 Mobile | Show all posts
I've had my powergrid 902 a similar amount of time and this morning I've discovered the same exact problem. If I were to guess at the reason, I would say that one of the internal components has overheated and blown. If you got this with BT, as part of a BT package, then you should be able to get a free replacement. Otherwise you'll have to buy a new one.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:07:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Odd, one of mine just did the same today after a similar lifetime. It seems to be totally dead. Looks like I'll be looking for a new powerline adaptor.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:07:41 Mobile | Show all posts
I have come across similar problems with several 902 adapters. It seems that after a year or two's service the reservoir/smoothing capacitors following the rectifiers become electrically and sometimes physically "leaky".

If left powered up the adapters continue working but if switched off or subject to a power cut they may fail to "wake up" showing various patterns of LED flashing, dim LEDs or even none at all.

Sometimes leaving them powered up for a time will re-awaken them but usually it's a sign of terminal (sorry about the pun ) failure.

All of the ones I've opened up with failure symptoms have had several power supply board capacitors showing signs of distress, ranging from bulging cans to electrolyte leakage.

It is possible to replace these components, preferably with 'long life' types, though it is not a job to be undertaken unless one is well versed in the black art of wielding a soldering iron. Sadly the PCBs have been assembled with lead-free solder making a tricky job even more difficult.

Thus far I've repaired four 902s successfully at a cost of about £3 and 30 to 45 minutes work for each one.

UPDATE 26/12/2015

Yesterday the 'Master' adapter that I bought new in August 2012 failed, showing a single red LED which could not be reset, it was also quite cool; both symptoms suggestive of a PSU failure.

It having been powered-up constantly for over 12 months I suspected that it had suffered the classic 902 failure. When I opened it up I found that six of the electrolytic capacitors on the power PCB were bulging slightly, confirming my diagnosis.

Having a spare adapter left from my previous repairs I simply swapped the plug-in PCB from the failed adapter to the spare one which powered up and worked OK.

Sadly it looks as though the design and/or component specification of the 902 model destine it to premature failure.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:07:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Redbeemer,
Thank you for updating this very interesting subject about the powergrid 902. I've got two units in same state( three flashing led), and no possibility to reset them.
Could you please answer this two question;
Is there a hidden screw other than the two close to the plug? Or, Are the 2 plastic part s of the body glued close to the RJ45 connector?Did you keep the ref of culprit capacitor causing this disfunction?thanks

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:07:43 Mobile | Show all posts
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but thanks RedBeemer for your helpful post. I'd bought two of these second hand to match a pair I got from my uncle (four in total). After 1.5 years 2 have blown and I couldn't find any explanation for the red flashing light pattern/no lights till I found this thread.

Unfortunately I'm no good with replacing components on PCBs (a skill to learn in the future maybe)

Hopefully people come across this and instead of sustainably  trying to keep old tech going, they replace these with more reliable newer models.

Thanks again guys

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:07:43 Mobile | Show all posts
I have used Comtrend 902 adapters for about 7 years and I have not had one out of probably 9 or 10 that has lasted more than a year or two. The trouble is that I use four at a time and to replace them all with something better would be quite expensive, although with the benefit of hindsight I wish that I had done so when the first one failed. I will never buy another Comtrend product.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部