Author: Atmos

Valves new game Q4 2019?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:13:43 Mobile | Show all posts
@MikeKay1976 no let's never agree on anything. Let's handle this democratically. How many times was your post flagged 'agree'?

Alternatively, I'm open to meeting for a fight in a layby somewhere
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:13:44 Mobile | Show all posts
If that was true why did we get all those Steam vouchers? I got Arizona Sunshine and Zero Calibre free. Thanks GabeN.

It would be nice if we got a free voucher for their new game but I don’t mind paying if they invest that money into another and keep the cycle going.

I hope it’s not just a VR only title as they could sell it to the other 98.6 of Steam users and make millions while advertising the Index to potentially new VR users.

Hopefully we’re only days away from finding out.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:13:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Whilst I am more than a little dissapointed in valve, my main feeling i have for them is confusion.

I mean, lets be honest, they guys over at valve know how to make money, they make hand over fist of it doing very little.  Steam has no curation worth a damn, and every card sold or bought valve take a cut on for absolutely nothing, indeed some of the trash on their i suspect sells for less than the profit made for the cards that some of these games drop. They absolutely encourage the "collector addiction" in many of us to get that shiny badge, by never allowing a game drop enough cards for a full set, thereby encouraging people to buy this crud.

They were the inventors of the platform exclusive DRM  and charge 30% for the privilege of them selling your game... and yet despite being the company to force this crap on us (before then you actually owned a game and a code to play the game - how novel ) some still look at them as the white hats and anyone who dares have a competing DRM as the bad guys, and actually try to promote a valve monopoly in the PC space.

gotta respect them for their canny money making....

but ultimately I am really confused. Gabe is - or was at least - a gamer, I truly believe it was not just about money at 1st at least.... I have to question WHY they stopped making games.... I mean lets face it, HL3 will be a disappointment for many, it doesnt matter how good it is i dont think it could fulfill the hype. ...... but I am 100% convinced that it would absolutely be a great seller.

and given they would not need to cough up 30% to host their own game, it just beggers belief why valve didnt just keep on a team of 100 or so developers to make games.... I have to believe they would have been profitable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:13:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Well I guess that’s the double edged sword of owning Steam and and being a privately owned company where’s there’s no pressure to produce anything.

There’s lots of injustice in the world and Oculus isn’t far away either when then handed over RiftS development to Lenovo.  

And while Oculus fund third parties Devs with Facebook cash how many games have Oculus made themselves in three years?

These things take time, Valve time lol I’m sure the wait will be worth it.

I really can’t wait for this game to be released not only to play it but then Valve will complete the Minajatwa and put themselves at the forefront of VR hardware and software where they belong.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:13:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I was not championing oculus either.... I frankly consider them all about the same, oculus, valve, Epic, EA (EA slightly worse as they buy up the decent companies, then ruin them imo) ,

not sure why Oculus needed to come into the equation to be honest, it isnt a competition for who can be the most annoying company..... however seeing as you do mention them.......  the difference is Valve HAD the infrastructure to make games because that is what they used to do, but for what ever reason they chose to let it all go.

Oculus on the other hand were starting from scratch... despite that more has come from oculus studios than from valve in the last 5 years  which makes no sense to me.

That said, if valve dont want to make games, then sure, if they want to throw 100s of millions at other companies to make games on their behalf, that will do as well. They have recently done a bit of an EA however and bought a small indie.  I hope they treat them better than EA. Shame it was not 3 years sooner.

PS what ever they do release, i really hope it is better than their last game!!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:13:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Think I own 3 titles from the Oculus Store, The Climb, Lone Echo and Vader Immortal. All very good but all from third parties. If Oculus released a decent game I’d buy that too even if I had to use Revive.

As for Valve I remember playing Half Life in VR on the DK2. It was amazing to be in the HL universe but it was experimental and not exactly the VR experience we have now. That game was made on DX9 and I think Valve released a report to say it was too much work to bring it up to scratch with Vive Wands. This was a time before smooth motion, when people were complaining about motion sickness and nausea.

Fast forward to Vive, Vive Wands and Onward and we now have 90Hz, a fast paced shooter with controllers that can replicate any weapon. Smooth motion was here and people stopped complains about motion sickness. It showed everyone even those as Valve that smooth motion was good and teleportation was bad.

Then we had that interview in October 2016 where we got to see Knuckles for the first time and hear about Valves commitment to 3 VR games.

Now I believe Valve have given Index a few months to gain a large enough user base before releasing the game that will use all of the Knuckles functionalities. It could still be months away/ late November early December to allow Boneworks a few weeks of sales. I don’t think Stress Level Zero will want to release Boneworks after HLVR as it would be an anti climax.

Knuckles are still reserve only so it looks like demand is high.

But back to the OP. Hopefully we get an announcement, a title and some screen shots if not a teaser trailer.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:13:48 Mobile | Show all posts
TBH I think Knuckles are reserve only due to manufacturing errors and the high level of returns.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:13:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Well I’m ready to get mine exchanged. Sticks are drifting bad. Makes navigating NMS menus nearly impossible.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:13:48 Mobile | Show all posts
That sucks. And the annoying thing is the fix is to have the plastic part of the stick raised on the post by 1 - 2mm. I`ve seen one fix using a small ball bearing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:13:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Valve doesnt need a new game!  Dota 2 ticks all the boxes!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部