Author: huxley

Valve index VR headset

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:16:14 Mobile | Show all posts
IF it came in at that it would be right at the top of my window. Indeed if it does, then what i will probably do is wait for a special offer or at least a decent games pack to be thrown in.  it is not like i don't have a perfectly usable device right now.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:16:15 Mobile | Show all posts
If it's 2k an eye and 135 degrees FOV then I'd cough up £800 for just the HMD.

Vive Pro / Odyssey Plus resolution over a wider FOV will be a much lesser PPD. Unless Valve have some serious lens wizardry going on!

Valve do have a fair few eye tracking patents, one which seems to turn your eyeball into a trackball! I hope there is an upgrade path for eye tracking if it's not stock. If the Vive is bringing it there must be some eye tracking tech support being baked into SteamVR.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:16:16 Mobile | Show all posts
From what I’ve read about Valve is they wanted a no compromise headset regardless of price. The experience you get is going to be better than anything we’ve had before and that’s going to be worth paying for.

Mike it’s better to jump in early and use a product for a long time (3 years) than jump in late for a lower price. Even if the full package was £1000 that’s only £333.33 a year.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:16:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with this if you are coming at it totally new without another product to replace.

but given i already have a fully functional (albeit with glued right headphone) system i am happy to hang fire.  in general early adopters get a bad deal - the exception is when taking a kickstart leap of faith.... that often gets a god deal, for instance the Feel three motion rig.  early backers got an amazing deal at £1500.

(or looking at yourself, you got a good deal for the pimax 5k )

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:16:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Also possibly not from a relatively inexperienced hardware manufacturer.

I'd definitely give it 6 months to a year, let the dust settle and wait for a deal.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:16:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm gagging for a new HMD! I'm an enthusiast, I will enthusiastically hand over an enthusiastical wad of cash for an enthusiast level HMD! And I wanna do it yesterday!

The HP Reverb is $600 with controllers significantly behind what the Knuckles seem to offer. HP Reverb recommended GPU is at least an RTX 2070. If the Knucklehead is keeping up with the Reverb display specs the HMD alone ain't gonna be less than $600 and if you're sporting anything less than a GTX 1080 then you're gonna need a new GPU... I hope!

I can see the Knuckles being between $200 and $300, likely closer to $300.

If that's too much, that's fine. There's the ROFL-S.

Use magic Report

sounds like the pimax 5k OLED may be of interest, combined with knuckles and 2 base stations.

IF VRing was my only hobby moneypit i would happily chuck more money in, but sadly it is one of many........ my pinball table keeps on persuading me to spend more money, then there is other totally non gaming stuff, like holidays etc.

thankfully i am confident my heavily overclocked 1080ti will tide me through this current gpu generation at least. (those people who got a 1080ti at launch, what an amazing buy that turned out to be)

PS no matter how much you keep using your made up name.... it aint gonna stick

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Knucklehead or ROFL-S..?

I don't give a st what anyone else thinks, it makes me happy

Distortion is a big issue for me, as I found out from the Vive Gear VR lens mod. That prevents the Pimax being of interest to me, unfortunately

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:16:19 Mobile | Show all posts
One thing to remember Valve can knock off that 30% store fee which Lenovo and HP can’t which is why I think the Index will be £500.

It’s going to be mighty interesting to see which headset wins - Pimax 5k  or Valve Index.

I’m praying Index is OLED because that’s my biggest criticism of the 5k .

If Oculus had of partnered with Pimax instead of Lenovo the 5k  would of truely been the Rift 2 and the Oculus Forums would be raving about it and how it beats Index. Lol.

I’m getting Knuckles regardless and Index but not sure wether to upgrade my BS too. Depends have much savings there are on the package price.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:16:21 Mobile | Show all posts
No need to upgrade basestations. Theres no difference in performance other than larger play area. But at the moment, doesn't look like any wireless and cable length will be limited by the signal strength, so doubtful any more than 5m. Basestations 1.0 will be fine for play areas up to 5m X 5m (which is bigger than recommended but works fine for me).

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部