123Next
Back New
View: 658|Reply: 23

VR race games and gear....

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:26:11 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
What are considered the finest vr racing experiences at the moment? I’ve been away from PC racing for at least a couple of years. Used to be heavily into iRacing, and have Assetto Corsa on my system, along with Dirt Rally and LFS. I prefer single-seater racing on the whole, with realism much more important than graphical razzmatazz.

Also, I will need to invest in some new hardware.  Any recommendations? I don’t want to go mad, but don’t want any MadCatz sh!t. G29 quality a minimum, I guess. Not sure I’ll stretch to high end pedals as I have in the past.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:26:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Don’t think you can beat Assetto Corsa with SOL and custom shaders mods, along with Content Manager - completely transforms the game.

Have a look at www.racedepartment.com for more info. Sol - Latest Formula 1, Motorsport, and Sim Racing News

Equipment wise, anything mid-range Fanatec or Thrustmaster is a good start imo - Fanatec CSL range in particular.

Also I help run a friendly club/league, at www.cosyracingcommunity.com if you are not interested in the usual public server mess!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:26:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for that.  Well, at least I already have AC, so that’s good. I’ll check out the mods. I had a Thrustmaster T300 something or other last time around, with some upgraded pedals, and was fairly pleased with it. I’ll have a look into joining your league once I’m up and running again, although I’m likely to be well off the pace these days. Cheers

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:26:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Seriously don’t worry about pace - as the name implies; although we do run regular “leagues” it is all VERY friendly with the emphasis on enjoyment. We do have a few (very fast) drivers (without egos), but also a number of varied paced guys with (friendly) battles throughout the grid.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:26:15 Mobile | Show all posts
That sounds great. Even when I was in my racing prime, I was only ever good for mid-pack. I’m now 56, and the reactions are noticeably reduced, so battle not to be last is about as much as I dare hope for these days

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:26:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Know how you feel! I’m 46 and struggle to find time (not that we promote too much practice), we have a few “mature” gents, so you certainly wouldn’t feel out of place

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:26:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Depending on your PC spec...   I love ACC but it eats up performance.

And AC as above...   although going back to AC from ACC feels sooooo wrong

A fanatec CSW 2.5 is  a great wheel base....  oh and i'll have one for sale in the next few days ... maybe you need some independent reviews too

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:26:17 Mobile | Show all posts
ACC is nice but definitely  a decent PC is required (especially in VR!).

CSW is a great wheel, and what I use so a recommendation from me

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:26:18 Mobile | Show all posts
rFactor2. Beginning, middle and end really.

Has good VR implementation when driving (SteamVR only but works on my Oculus Rift). The whole UI is shabby but apparently going to be replaced.

They also have a new online competition system coming which will hopefully increase the online player base.

I use a Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel which is a little more expensive than the Logitech but much smoother and stronger.

I didn't like any Thrustmaster pedals so I bought an adapter for the wheel that allows me to connect some Thrustmaster G29 pedals with the Nixim spring mod, which I like.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:26:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, sorry for the  dramatic pause. I’ve been really busy last couple of days.  I’m sure the CSW is a great base, but I fear that it would be the start of a very deep rabbit hole for me.  I can’t put myself in the position of looking at high-end gear, because I can’t be trusted. Within 6 months I’ll be looking at motion rig platforms, hydraulic pedals and all sorts of goodies.  Nope, I have to keep it relatively affordable

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部