12Next
Back New
View: 983|Reply: 12

Done a bit of juggling re: headsets

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:40:15 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
With my head and heart in two minds regarding recent developments, I've cancelled the Amazon order for the Quest and Rift S.  Instead, I've re-ordered them both from Argos, thus freeing up nine hundred quid, as I can buy now, pay later.  This means that I can, somewhat begrudgingly, afford the Index, which I've just gone and reserved.

Pretty sure that the Quest shall be a keeper, as it fills a different role.  Meantime, I can have some actual hands-on with Rift S vs Valve Index, and see which fits my needs best.  Obviously, the Rift S shall be in my hands a lot sooner, so I can A-B it against my CV1.  If it shines sufficiently then I shall sell the CV1, if it doesn't, it'll be returned to Argos pronto.  Then whichever survives round one shall enter a face-off against the Index.  The winner shall stay in my possession, the loser moved on.

I know that, on paper at least, the Index should be all-conquering, but it's the real world that counts.  I don't have an i9, or a GTX 2080ti, so 120/144mhz could well be a moot point for me anyway.  It'll come down to what shines best on my moderate system - i7 6700k, GTX1080, 16gb DDR4.

However it pans out, I'm dead excited.  VR is already amazing, so any improvements are the icing on an already delicious cake

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:40:17 Mobile | Show all posts
How can you return it to Argos after you’ve used it, if there’s  nothing wrong with it? Do they have a policy for this?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:40:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Haha. Sounds like you don’t have much faith in it being better than my CV1

In the unlikely event of it being sub-standard I shall endeavour to return it. It will either be same day, or following day.  If my attempts fail, then I shall simply pop it onto eBay, and maybe take a small hit.  I could always plead ignorance with Argos and play the IPD card, lol.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:40:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah fair enough it’s just a pet peeve of mine, people ordering stuff they have no intention of keeping, just to see what it’s like. Then returning it and the retailer having to deal with that, then someone else possibly getting the return.

I’ve no doubt the Rift S will be a solid piece of kit. I’m waiting for the Quest myself, only two weeks to go!

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:40:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I know exactly what you mean, and I've always been very much in the same camp until very recently, when it seemed I was the only one who wouldn't do it.  Now, I'll occasionally do it on very rare occasions, depending on the type of item.  After all, if it performs like a dog on my system, it's a large sum of money.  And you don't get to take your pc in to the store for a trial run.

Yep, also looking forward to the arrival of the Quest.  I'm hoping to use it for all of the "get me fit" type of games, that will benefit from being untethered.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:40:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah just get an Argos delivery to home. By law with reason you can return it within 14 day for whatever you want.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:40:20 Mobile | Show all posts
When I looked on the Argos site, they were boasting a 30 day, no quibbles return period.  How robust that is in real life I’ve no idea, but it sounds good.  It’s all immaterial now though, as my job hangs in the balance.  I’ve had to do the sensible thing and cancel both the Rift S and Quest.  Not easy to do now all of the great reviews for the Quest are flooding out

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:40:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Not to be an old stick in the mud but I think to return items they need to be unused etc.  Argos says
The item should be unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable conditionMakes it hard to try it first. You just need to do your research, check pc specs etc, then make your decision and commit.

Sorry about your job uncertainty, all these items are only necessary when you’ve got surplus cash.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 05:40:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Jeff.  I hadn’t read the small print, so that’s worth bearing in mind.

I have been informed that I’ll be given an absolute on the job situation on Wednesday. If it looks good then I’ll continue the splurge.  With a tentative degree of optimism, I’ve re-ordered the Quest.  If the news turns out to be bad I’ll simply cancel before the 21st.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:40:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Would be interested to hear what you think of it if you do indeed get one. It looks like a very nice piece of kit.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部