Upgrading VR Rig, need help!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:40:25 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Greetings!

I'm looking into upgrading my VR Rig, which will be used to play VR games(duh) and stream some of them. I don't exactly plan to overclock and I'd like to be able to pump the Supersampling in VR games up to anywhere between 1.5x and 2.0x. (but as they say, the more the merrier)
I live in Portugal (Europe) for pricing reference.

My current specs are as follow:
CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU:
MSI GTX 1060 3GB ARMOR
RAM:
HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400MHz 14CAS
PSU:
SeaSonic S12II 80  Bronze 430W
MOBO:
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
CASE: Nox Hummer MC Zero Edition
HMD: Oculus Rift

My planned specs are as follow:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X or higher
GPU:
RTX 2080 or RTX 2080Ti (Probably EVGA 'cause of their customer support but I'm open to suggestions)
RAM:
G.Skill Trident Z/Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz 14CAS (Accepting other suggestions)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G3 1000W 80  Gold
MOBO:
Still haven't done research
CASE: Nox Hummer MC Zero Edition
HMD: Valve Index

I've been told the 2080Ti is too overpriced and it's honestly not a pretty price to look at. I'd like to stay future-proof and get the most performance I can get from VR, especially with increased Supersampling. Supersampling benchmarks on RTX cards seem to be scarce however, it's hard to really know if there would be a huge difference between the 2080 and the 2080Ti in that regard, but considering I'd also have to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and PSU, the 2080 might be more worth it going for because of its reduced price. What do you think however, do you have any experience or information on this type of comparison regarding Supersampling and these two cards?

How should I choose the motherboard? Besides the basics, I'll need at least a free PCI-e slot for my Inateck USB 3.0 Expansion Card, hopefully the GPU wouldn't block it. I've heard VRMs are an important thing to look at, what are these exactly? Will there be much difference between different motherboards that'll support the new Ryzen CPUs or are they going to be minimal?

Finally, ever since I got my i5-6500, I've always used its stock cooler. I don't plan on overclocking so will the Ryzen's stock cooler be enough? I would otherwise get the Noctua NH-D15 everyone seems to worship ahah But I'd rather save that money if I can get by with just the stock cooler.

I think that's about every question I have, will add more as they come to mind. Let me also know what you think of my planned build.

Thank you!

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 05:40:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Specs look good, but I'd opt for the 2080Ti if you can possibly afford it (and are willing to live with the potential risk of getting a dud one). The 2080 is effectively 1080Ti performance, so still a meaty upgrade from a 1060 though.

Get a decent AIO for the CPU. As for mobos, I'm out of ideas... check some reputable websites to see how they compare and what features you get in terms of M.2, USB, etc. Buy one that allows for overclocking at the very least. VRMs are voltage regulation modules - they're responsible for providing stable clean voltage to a chipset (there are usually a bunch of them surrounding the CPU and GPU). Better ones allow for more stable overclocking.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:40:27 Mobile | Show all posts
You might be better off waiting for a few months to see what's coming from AMD and Nvidia next.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部