View: 243|Reply: 2

7" Windows Tablet (UMPC) - Viliv X70EX

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 05:44:42 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have just acquired a 7" Viliv X70EX Windows UMPC (Ultra Mobile PC). A little old but a very high end machine in its day for professional outdoor use. Feels built like the proverbial brick s***house - nearly twice as thick as my Android 7" tablet and heavy at around 1.7kg. The lower spec model - no SSD but a 32GB HDD and 32GB SD card for storage, 1.33 GHz CPU and 1 GB RAM. Running Windows XP at present but can be upgraded to Win 7 (and possibly up to Win10). Came with waterproof case and TV connecting leads (composite, component and S-Video)

I have only had a brief play but am quite impressed - it boots faster than my similar speed HP laptop.

Has anyone else got or had one? Any experiebes?
It will join my collection of smart and mobile devices - generic 7" and Archos 10.1 Android tablets, Kindle Keyboard, Bebook Neo e-reader, Huawei smartphone and 3 laptops (Win 8.1, Win 7 and Win XP)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:44:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I would not suggest  going above  WIN7. . Getting drivers for older kit is a nightmare. And any tablet will have special drivers for everything. With WIN7 you may be able to revert to WinXP,..
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:44:43 Mobile | Show all posts
You could possibly run Windows 10.

This Windows 10 photo will give hope to millions | TechRadar

The most ancient processor that fits the bill is the AMD Athlon 64 3200 , a CPU first introduced to the market in September 2003, nearly 12 years ago.

The computer that housed it is a Mesh PC, one that comes with an Nvidia-powered Asus motherboard with onboard graphics, four 256MB DDR memory modules, a 40GB hard disk drive, a DVD ROM drive, a floppy disk drive and originally ran Windows XP.

Once in, I wired the computer and downloaded the latest drivers, still no hiccups. Even with less than 1GB of RAM (64MB of it is shared with the video subsystem), Windows 10 is surprisingly nice to use, which bodes well for anyone looking to get it running on an old computer.

I deliberately chose not to run benchmarks and/or making it perform any intensive task (getting Chrome to run 40 tabs for example). Next, I halved the system memory to 512MB (448MB available) and then down to 256MB (192GB available). 256MB RAM is what the first Raspberry Pi and the iPhone 3GS(launched in 2009) ran on.

To be honest though, I am actually flabbergasted that Windows 10 runs at all on such antiquated hardware. Being able to do so is a genuinely impressive tasks given the breadth and depth of products, SKUs and components that Microsoft and its partners have to deal with.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部