View: 476|Reply: 13

What Tablet to go for?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
My wife currently owns a Samsung SM-T210 which she knows little about regarding its operating capabilities but then neither do I in that I stick to my desktop computer.  My wife returned from a visit to our daughter Saturday voicing praise for the Samsung 10-1 which our son-in-law had just bought for our daughter. I asked her on what basis my wife made her judgment a question to which she replied with abuse such as, "watch it mate or you will be getting your own dinner."
I suspect that her impressions were gained by just looking at the device which to be fair is attractive.  I will come clean and own up to not even understanding the difference if difference there is between a "Tablet" and an "Android Tablet" so I thought I would ask that question here in an attempt to start accumulating sufficient knowledge to make a qualified judgement regarding a replacement for the Samsung SM-T210Tablet she now distains.  I suspect that it may come down to screen size.
The primary reason my wife is interested in a replacement Tablet is because of her love for our new  grandchildren and her wish to record them to show anyone who she can capture.  She also uses it to text our children which I suspect just scratches the surface of a Table's capability.
Anyway, I would like to help her and if possible lead her in a direction where she can send Emails and do the normal tasks one does with a desktop computer such as clear the rubbish away.  As you can see, I am very much lacking in the technical knowledge department and I would like to learn.  
So to start my quest for information,
1.  "What is the difference if difference there is between a "Tablet" and an "Android Tablet"
2.  "How does the Samsung SM-T210Tablet rate?"

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:45:18 Mobile | Show all posts
On the assumption that at my age I can't afford to wait around for answers could anyone recommend a forum where I might find them on the subject I raised on this forum?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Most tablets on the market use one of 3 operating systems, “iOS” which is the Apple iPad, “Android” and “Windows Mobile” (Microsoft, and not very common now).
All Samsung tablets use the Android system.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 05:45:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Is it possible to state what the difference and the pros and con's is between the three operating systems.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Forget about Windows Mobile.
Your decision comes down to iOS and Android with the Apple iPad (iOS) being the first and original tablet, it's more expensive than Android but is easier to use for beginners and has thousands of “apps” (free and paid for) available.
Android tablets are manufactured by dozens of different companies and Samsung are probably the best and most common. The price varies depending on screen size and built-in memory. Again, there are thousands of apps available.
If your wife has shown a preference for a particular Samsung model and is used to using it maybe it's best just to stick to that.
There is plenty of info on the web comparing iOS and Android and the pro's and con's so just do a bit of research before deciding.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:21 Mobile | Show all posts
It's Windows 10 not Windows mobile. What year are you posting from?

It's a full Operating System which can pretty much run any software ever written for a PC.

Windows 10 is ubiquitous.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Here you go.

How to Choose a Tablet Operating System

In brief though, IOS, locked down by Apple. That's a good and a bad thing. No microsd card slot. You either like Apple or you don't.

Android - very customisable. You can have a microsd card slot. Huge choice.

Tablets using Windows 10. A full operating system not a tablet operating system. Instead of cut down apps it's full programs. So it's a mini laptop. Windows 10 and PCs are not going anywhere.

Microsoft did the successful Surface range. A touchscreen tablet plus keyboard which was then copied by Apple and Samsung.

The Surface Go is the latest. Windows tablets usually come with lots of output ports which ipads don't. You usually get microsd slots and USB 3 sockets.

Best tablet 2018: the top slates tested and ranked | TechRadar

Microsoft Surface Go review | TechRadar

Best Windows tablets 2018: the best Windows devices to use on the go | TechRadar

The best cheap tablets and deals 2018: the top budget options | TechRadar

Samsung, Linx and others also do tablets with Windows 10 on them.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Tablet just means it's a rectangle shape with a touchscreen probably 7" or above. Android tablet means a tablet specifically running Android.
If it's what I think it is, it's 5 years old now. That's a long time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, agree, but pretty much dead as far as the mobile market is concerned compared to the other 2 OS's.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 05:45:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Windows mobile is dead. Windows 10 is huge on tablets. It's why I wonder what year you are posting from as you didn't seem to know it was around. It's the whole point of Windows 10. A single OS for tablets, laptops, consoles and desktops. Create an app for one and it can be used on all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2018/07/29/microsoft-surface-billion-dollar-success-iphone-android-windows10/

Surface by the numbers: How Microsoft reinvented the PC | ZDNet

Microsoft's Surface Pro is proof that two-in-one devices are the way forward

Five Reasons Why the Surface Pro Has Been a Success for Microsoft - TabletNinja

And Windows 10 isn't going to be dead. It's making the tablet no different to a laptop. It will be around as long as PCs are.

So if you want a tablet running Windows 10 it will be around for a long time and has a huge amount of software.

I have an Android tablet and a Surface 3. They are used alternately. The Android tablet for quick browsing, the Surface for actually getting stuff done. I can use the Surface for PowerPoint presentations etc no different to my laptop.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部