Girlfriend thinks I Cheating, HELP

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:16:56 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hey,

So I am trying to research and buy my girlfriend (probably should be wife after 18 years....) a decent zoom lens for her Canon EDS 600D.

Not knowing much about cameras is hard enough, but we share phones and to stop her knowing what I am thinking of getting her for Christmas I have started hiding my phone, secretly disappearing to use it, and deleting my browser history and keeping any useful information in a private password locked folder on my friend,  and she is getting VERY suspicious as to what I am up to (assumes cheating

So it’s either a good Christmas present of a new girlfriend at this stage, unless anyone out there helps me.

Well enough chit chat, she currently has a Canon 55-250mm lens, but the zoom isn’t enough for her to get good pictures of the wildlife (birds, koloas, kangeroos, snakes etc.) in the garden as it’s generally too far away for her current lens.

My research (google) has lead me to one of the following:

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di Vc
Sigma 150-600mm 5-6.3 Contemporary DG OS  
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS USM

Now I sort of know that the last mm number is the distance part and the F I think is to do with lighting....

But just in case I can advise it will mostly be used on sunny days to take pictures on animals / birds that are usually not moving too much.

If someone could advise if the 3 above are in the ballpark (too much / not enough) of what I should be looking for, or if there are any alternatives I should be very grateful and hopefully not single!!!

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:16:57 Mobile | Show all posts
The 150-600 are heavy lenses and she may struggle holding it, I certainly did. I now have the canon 100-400 and it is a superior lense, still heavyish but not like the 150-600's. Plus on an APS-C camera you get extra reach 400*1.6.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:16:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Monopod with the longer lenses  ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I really like my Sigma C 100-400 OS, ok it does not have the widest of apertures but is very sharp wide open and is easy to hold and compact. Going by testing on lenstip it is as sharp as the canon 100-400 L but looses out a bit on the autofocus speed but is a third of the price (c.£600). Tamron do a similar lens which seems to be as good.

Sigma C 100-400 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM review - Introduction - LensTip.com                                                                                                        Best digital cameras and lens reviews. If you are looking for the information about digital cameras and lenses you are in a right place. We have many professional tests of digital photography equipment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.lenstip.com                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Tamron 100-400 mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD review - Introduction - LensTip.com                                                                                                        Best digital cameras and lens reviews. If you are looking for the information about digital cameras and lenses you are in a right place. We have many professional tests of digital photography equipment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.lenstip.com                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM review - Introduction - LensTip.com                                                                                                        Best digital cameras and lens reviews. If you are looking for the information about digital cameras and lenses you are in a right place. We have many professional tests of digital photography equipment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.lenstip.com                                                                               

Here’s what it can do 315mm f6,3 on canon 6d

IMG_3898a by A H, on Flickr

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
As mentioned, the 150-600mm's are heavy and it can become a chore carrying them around. My choice would be the Tamron 100-400mm

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:16:59 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with the posts about the 150-600mm being an awkward size to use, I bought one for my FF DSLR which I regret purchasing as I've almost never used it as I just find it too bulky to carry with me.

I think the 100-400mm suggestions are a good idea and would be the telephoto I'd considering although it's still not going to be a huge focal length at the far end.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:17:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Other than on the 600D the 100-400 is the same as the 160-640 on a full frame.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部