IPhone cam vs compact

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:35 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,
I am off to Florida with the kids over new year but really don’t think my iPhone 6s 12mp camera is up to the job of capturing our special moments video or stills.
I’m thinking  about picking up a used compact point and shoot camera for under £100. Is this likely to be better or worse than I already have in my phone.If better what should I be looking to go for.  Don’t want anything too bulky.Anything you can suggest would be great.
Many thanks
Hywel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi better than iPhone 6 in what way? For 100 I would think are compacts of the same vintage, Sony cyber shot or Panasonic TZ for example might be possible which would give you more optical zoom, but I doubt you would see a big difference in pictures. For noticeably better probably need one with a larger sensor like Sony rx100, and looking at eBay those are going for well above 100.  I’d stick with the iPhone in these circumstances.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:37 Mobile | Show all posts
A Panasonic FZ150 Bridge camera in quite light & not to large, if you can find one in reasonable condition, that's my suggestion.
panasonic fz150 | eBay

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Stearman, how does that hold up against the iPhone 6? The sensor size is a bit bigger (6x4.6mm  vs 4.5x3.4mm), does that have a big benefit? I remember the RX100 was noticeably better, the sensor on that is about double again (13x9mm).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:38 Mobile | Show all posts
How? past experience, owned one for over 2 years, gradually wore out the on off switch so decided to buy the FZ1000, wasn't as keen on that so now have an FZ330 & my wife has the FZ82.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:39 Mobile | Show all posts
You're unlikely to see much benefit in image quality, the difference in the size of the sensor is pretty negligible and a used compact camera under £100 isn't going to have a high quality lens on it. The only advantage of a compact camera like this would be the zoom, which is a big advantage imo.

Don't worry about mp too much, they tell you very little about the image quality unless you're going to be printing large prints.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:18:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Depending on what you're planning on doing with the kids something more rugged might be worth a look?
I bought one of these for my daughter when she went on an expedition with her Guide unit.  Waterproof etc so you can take it to the beach or water parks without worrying much.
Refurb is well within budget, I've bought from them in the past and the camera was indistinguishable from new to me - out of stock at the moment.
                                                https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras/finepix-xp120-refurbished                       
The XP140 is in stock but busts your budget at £135
                                                https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras/finepix-xp140-refurbished                       
If you wanted to squeak a bit over your budget then a Micro 4/3rds mirrorless
e,g, £80 for an Olympus E-PL6
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Used Olympus Pen E-PL6 Lite                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.mpb.com                                                                               
£50 for a kit lens.
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Used Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens - mpb.com                                                                                                        Find used Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II lenses for sale at mpb.com, or sell or trade your own                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.mpb.com                                                                               
I had the earlier E-PL5 and the same kit lens and it's a very capable package but not as pocketable as some of the other suggestions.

This site lets you see cameras side by side which might be helpful in choosing.  I've loaded up some of the stuff above.
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Compact Camera Meter                                                                                                        Compare unlimited number of cameras with lenses, see how compact or bulky a camera is and sort by height, width, depth and weight.                                                                                                                                                                                                        j.mp

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部