123Next
Back New
View: 604|Reply: 28

Looking to upgrade/change

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 06:22:59 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
At the moment have Canon 7DMKii and a number of lenses, 10-18, 15-85, 50, 100 macro, 70-200 and 100-400, also G7X for walkabout.

I predominately like to shoot wildlife/birds and motor sport, so good FPS etc needed, but also any other normal stuff, landscape, sunsets etc etc.

SO either looking to change within canon or complete change to....

Canon wise do I wait for the next EOS R incarnation, rumoured for later this year, or do I go along the lines of the soon to be released 90D with the M6MKii as a walkabout, and can utilise current lenses. Or Maybe the 5D4?

Or do I change tack completely, that's where I am struggling to find something, obviously plenty out there, Nikon, Sony, Fuji.

I seem to be going round in circles at the moment? Stick or bust!

So any help and or suggestions most appreciated. This is not a Canon v Nikon v Sony war as I'm willing (although reluctant) to change.

Budget 3K

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Personally I'd stick with what you have, the 7D-II is a great camera and IMO should give you everything that you need. Is it just GAS or is the 7D-II limiting in some way?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 06:23:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Mostly GAS probably, maybe just the walkabout camera then? As nice as the G7X is don't think it does enough. So maybe just a CSC mirrorless is the way?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah, I was the same with the G7x. Up until recently my walkabout camera has been the EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8, a great setup imo and produces great images. However, as I have recently swapped my D850 for the Z7 this is now my walkabout camera. With the 24-70mm f4 it's not much heavier than the Olympus setup and with it being FF you get that touch better IQ (although for walkabout shots there's very little in it imo) and better noise handling. If I still had the D850 I'd still be more than happy with the Olly as a walkabout.

So I guess this will all depend on how bad your GAS is and how much money you are wanting to throw at it? If it's just for walkabout and you don't need the best AF then a used EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 would be a significant upgrade over the G7x. If you want top AF too then the EM1-II and 12-40mm f2.8 would be a great option, but if you want to go whole hog and get FF then your best bang for buck would be the Sony A7III, very hard to look past. The only reason that I didn't buy into Sony was the ergonomics and colour science.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:02 Mobile | Show all posts
I really wouldn't change unless there was something that you felt was holding you back with the 7DII.
Yes there have been a lot of new cameras released since the 7DII came out but unless you need something specific which by the sound of it you are almost looking for excuses to upgrade and GAS is your problem.

I went through a similar period constantly trying to justify buying the Samyang XP 14mm f/2.4 lens for astro but soon realised that is not something I will be shooting often at all living it the suburbs and it would just sit unused for most of it's life. It would be a waste of money.

Switching systems is a big undertaking too as you would have to learn the menus and quirks of the camera which can take time. If you are going down that route I would advise trying one out first with a selection of lenses to see if you like the handing. As much as I like the more compact mirrorless bodies they can't compare in my opinion to a DSLR with an equivalent lens. Everyone is different though.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 06:23:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the inputs, it's not just GAS, as good as the 7D2 is it's not really a walkabout type camera so will most likely stick with that for now. Don't worry I will be going to my local store for a hands on, would be good to have something in mind before going.

I have a holiday coming up soon, and a bucket list holiday next Feb/Mar to Vietnam so would be street/beach/landscape/architecture

Good food for thought though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Depends what you’re referring to, my Z7 IQ is easily a match for the D850.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry, I didn't word it correctly, I was referring to the handling and ergonomics of a DSLR compared to a mirrorless body, not IQ. The Sony cameras in particular are not as comfortable. By all accounts the EOS-R seems to be the closest to DSLR size and grip.

The Fuji GFX 50S/100 medium format cameras and Panasonic S1H are quite chunky too but are in a different class.

If I didn't have my current setup and lightweight and portable was my main goal in choosing a new system I'd probably consider the M6 MkII or Fuji XT-3. They use compact lenses and would be a better choice compared to the RP for example where the body is small but the lenses are huge because of the full frame sensor.

The 90D is a good camera but would be too similar to the 7D MkII that you have and doesn't give you a lighter system.

The 5D MkIV is possibly too much for your needs and you'd loose the reach at the long end which is why APS-C is probably a better choice for what you shoot.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Ahh I see. Ergonomics are very personal tbh, I've said for years that I've found the EM1 and EM1-II the most comfortable and best cameras ergonomically to use for me, and now the Z7 is on par, and for me better than the D750 and D850 I had previously.

That's my preference though

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:23:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm heavily biased in favour of Olympus - I moved from a Pentax DSLR because of size more than anything else.  I've since learned to love the small(er) lenses and inbody stabilisation.
I'm very happy with my E-M10ii but I appreciate it's tiny size is a plus for me but a minus for others.

If you were looking for a very capable camera then I have read a lot that the E-M1 mark ii is very capable as a wildlife and sports camera.  With the 12-40 PRO it's weather sealed and pretty compact which would be ideal for a hot, humid holiday in Vietnam.

If you're located near one of their dealers you can borrow one for a full 24hr test drive for nothing.
Olympus TEST & WOW

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部