Advise Please,Been asked to use some shots of mine

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:30:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Welcome back

Pretty poor he didn’t send the book tbh. I realise that it’s not important to you, but I expect people to follow through with their promises.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:30:10 Mobile | Show all posts
I just received a similar Email from Juergen Tronicke asking to use one of my photos of a stone circle I photographed in Ireland.  I've Googled him and he does have the book published he mentioned in his Email to me.  I appreciate all the advice giving in this forum about granting permission to use photos, especially requesting the photo doesn't get reused.  But once you Email your photo to someone, how do you prevent that?   

Also, if anyone has sent photos to Juergen Tronicke for use, have you placed a watermark on the photo?  

Thanks in advance for all feedback.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:30:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Ask him why he doesn't keep his promises/commitments to the talented photographers who he asks for copies of their work to use in his books to make him money........

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:30:12 Mobile | Show all posts
I just received some valuable comments from one of my photography groups re: giving away your photos.  The feedback was: 'Don't give away your work for free. Exposure doesn't give you anything and it reduces the perception that photography and photographers time and talent have real value.  If your photos are good enough to be published, they are warrant payment.'

I so agree - that's some solid advice. Hope it helps someone else that might receive inquiries to use their photos for free.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:30:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Spot on.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:30:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Disclaimer: I'm not directly experienced in this specific scenario, however the principles I would apply are:

1) Add unique metadata to your photo that would allow digital traceability. Every time you share it with someone, make a unique ID. This way it becomes identifiable if it is subsequently shared.
2) Regardless of item 1) It's not really possible to prevent onward distribution, and your only remedy in law is to seek damages after the fact. This is why traceability is so important as it allows you to identify the responsible party and prove it in law.

As I say, I'm not directly experienced but I'd hazard a guess that it won't be cheap to pursue damages. Always have a contract in place, and quantify the remuneration and 'damages' in advance.

Edit: I've just seen you're a new US-based user. Please note that a) I'm in the UK; your experiences and jurisdiction may differ, and b) I'm not a practising lawyer and so nothing I've written constitutes any sort of legal advice. It's a non-professional opinion that should not be relied upon!*

* Thankfully I hear the US isn't bought into the modern litigation fad

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部