View: 336|Reply: 3

wi-fi sd card for Sony RX100 Mk1

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:32:15 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have a Sony RX100 Mk1 and would like to find an easier way to transfer pictures other than the supplied cable, disability problem. Was thinking of trying a Wifi SD card. Would like to send to a pc network folder or if needed an iPad as a workaround.
These SD cards don't sound too clever setup wise from what I've read on the web.

Any thoughts and advice gratefully appreciated?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:32:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I used to use one of these a few years ago, as my then camera did not have wifi. Easy to use, but you normally need a laptop with an SD slot to set them up in the first place. You can then normally point them at a drop box folder, so that they sync to whatever device you like.

Wireless range can be very poor - as the camera body blocks the signal somewhat and transfer times for large files quite long. It is however, an automatic process every time the camera is switched on and within range of a known network.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:32:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Eye Fi used to be the card of choice for what you're suggesting but IIRC they disappeared a while ago into Toshiba I think.

I used to use Toshiba FlashAir cards.  They create a WiFi hotspot which you can connect a device to and transfer files using their App.  I used to use them with an iPhone.
They can bridge between the card and the home WiFi over the phone but transfer is slow because they move from the card to the phone then the phone to the network.
They didn't do automatic back up to a folder as you're suggesting, it was a manual process you had to initiate.
They worked well enough for adding WiFi to two cameras that didn't have it built in but they weren't a fully automatic system any more than the WiFi functions on my later cameras.

Bear in mind image files are large and WiFi is quite slow.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:32:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, I think Eye-Fi closed their servers some time ago. I think I got sent an email about that.

Not sure about current card capabilities.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部