1234Next
Back New
Author: Johnmcl7

As a photographer how do you take video?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree, there’s a lot more involved to make a movie. I do find it a fun process, working with a group of people on the story, then the production and edit.

I sometimes do “highlights” type films eg                                  or                                  but that’s not as much fun as filmmaking with a proper production group.

One tip for editing, to speed up clip selection try Adobe Prelude.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:34:57 Mobile | Show all posts
It's more the capturing of the video I have the issue with than editing it, although initially I struggled with the concept of taking hours of video but then only using a few seconds worth I do like the rewarding feel of finishing a video even if it's just for me.

At the moment I generally have the RX1 or the D750 out with me and neither are much good for video, I'm very much on the keep it simple and easy side of video.  I did buy an RX10mk2 but never clicked with it particularly the stills performance, I've also tried the NEX-6/18-200mm as a compromise but the lens is badly unbalanced making handling horrible and the batterylife is atrocious.  

Hence I've been considering my options, the RX10m4 seems an obvious choice as it's great for video and has a fantastic zoom range but the fact I didn't get on with the mk2 and the high pricetag is too much for what I want.  Similarly the RX100mk6 looks like a handy little camera since I don't mind losing the wide aperture now I have the RX1 but again way too pricey for how I'd use it.  

I've then been looking at the A7iii/24-240mm as an all in one solution for photo and video but I know I'd end up buying more lenses for it.  Then I was back looking at the Z6 which I'd originally discounted as being pointless using Nikon F-mount lenses but then was thinking the 20mm F1.8 would make for a nice low light video and stills lens with the onboard IS.  Then I looked up XQD cards which are a completely insane price and there's not much on the roadmap of interest, no superzoom lens announced at all.

I'm leaning towards just sticking the phone....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:58 Mobile | Show all posts
[Gone]

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:34:59 Mobile | Show all posts
This is exactly what i do.
I generally shoot at 1080P @60fps, and combine it with the phone's (Samsung) slow motion. I now have a S10 plus so have the option of a wide angle, normal and tele lens. I always edit to music so audio is never really a issue.  Audience is family and friends.

However the key for me is using a smartphone gimbal (Osmo Mobile 2). I get smooth steady footage which far exceeds what you get handheld.

The good thing about smartphones is the ability to edit on the go. I use Kinemaster, using only simple but effective cuts/ edits. It may not have the bells and whistles of Adobe or Vegas, but i can edit little and often which makes life easier.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:34:59 Mobile | Show all posts
^^^ Wow that was great.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:35:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been thinking about doing more video for a while now and taking it up a level from complete amateur. I have been using a JVC Everio GZ HM550 camcoder for 9 years which has been good to just record and burn short videos to Blu-ray for family events and holidays. HD image quality is still pretty decent but the combination of shakey, unstabilised footage and small sensor make it look less than impressive, especially in low light.

I used the 6DmkII and shot some test footage in the garden over the weekend using 24mm f/2.8 IS lens. I also experimented with different frame rates 24/60 and using the digital 5 axis IS on the camera. One thing I noticed with all the footage was just how poor the image quality was out of the camera using the standard picture profile. It was very contrasty, with crushed blacks and over sharpened edges creating a very saturated and harsh image, lacking fine detail. The 6D and 6DmkII have been criticised for poor video quality however I found playing around with the different picture styles and even creating a custom style made quite a difference.

I was able to get a more natural, flatter image that revealed more subtle details, especially in shadows. Playing back the footage hooked up to the tv looked much better than before and that's before any post processing has been done to make it look even better.

I did some fine tuning in post, slightly increasing the sharpness, some tonal changes and contrast adjustments and it looks like it was shot on a different camera, such is the difference. Initially the footage shot in the standard profile looked so bad that I was going to stick with the old camcorder for video.

Another thing I took away is that you really need slow and smooth movement when shooting 24 frames second otherwise you get a noticeable judder when panning. This is not a problem at 60 as movement is a lot smoother. I was shooting all hand held but I do have a tripod with a pan/tilt held that will help in future. If I do more video work I can see myself getting the DJI Ronin S gimbal but I can't justify it right now. I need to practise more and improve my technique first.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:35:01 Mobile | Show all posts
[Gone]

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:35:02 Mobile | Show all posts
A like on its own is no where near enough for that fantastic and what great memories to look back on, brilliant job sir

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:35:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks. Wish my wife was as appreciative when im off capturing B roll...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:35:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling the shutter speed was having an effect. I'll experiment to see the difference.

I do have a couple of ND filters but not for the 24mm f/2.8 IS. I can always try it with another lens though.

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部