12Next
Back New
View: 648|Reply: 18

How can I record longer than 29.59 minutes

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 06:45:58 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have a Canon 80D and are used to filming short segments with it. I have only just realised that DSLRs will not continiously record longer than 30minutes and I have been asked to record something that may take over an hour.

I have read about overiding the firmware but as this camera is less than a month old, I was wondering if there are any other methods that dont void the warranty, other than hitting the record button again after 30 minutes.

Thanks.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:45:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 06:46:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks.
I thought ML just overid the Canon firmware, I didnt realise another device also had to be purchased to make it work.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:46:00 Mobile | Show all posts
AFAIK ML does not overwrite the canon firmware it enables you to boot the camera from an SD card on which the ML operating system is hosted. Take the SD card out with the ML software on it, turn the camera off and back on and you are back to a stock 80D. I'll leave you to check but this is how it worked on my 550D a couple of years ago when I tried ML.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 06:46:01 Mobile | Show all posts
You are probably right but as soon as I found out it can void your warranty I assumed it adjusted the firmware. I remember something similar on one of my older Canons where you could adjust the firmware to allow you to shoot at a high ISO and thought it might be the same.
Thanks.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:46:02 Mobile | Show all posts
As @Ugg10 says the ML software doesnt overwrite the original firmware it simply used a Canon startup feature to allow it to be run when present on your SD card and when running offers you more control of the camera's features

As far as I know it can't be used to overwride the recording time limit and hence what you do is use the camera in Live View mode with the ML running and it's options set as per that post I linked too - then the live view image is being output via the hdmi port on the camera and you can then record that using another recording device.

Where does it say that use of ML wil invalidate your warranty ?

Jim

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 06:46:03 Mobile | Show all posts
It is on various forums but the main premis is any third party item (including firmware) which causes damage would not be covered should anything happen. In this scenario, if for any reason ML bricked the camera, Canon would not repair it under warranty.

I suppose if we want to be technical, I should say any damage/issues cause by ML wouldnt be covered rather than saying it would void the warranty.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 06:46:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Though it would be pretty impossible for them to Prove that you had used ML let alone that it was responsible for any failure .....

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 06:46:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Probably not to be honest but I know nothing about ML and the camera is brand new (and technically my companies not mine) so you can understand why I'm a little cautious.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:46:04 Mobile | Show all posts
ML isn't available for the 80D so its a bit of a moot point.  They haven't even finished the 70D version yet...

So you need an external recording device of some kind (a capture card into a laptop or else a dedicated recorder like an Atomos).

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部