View: 413|Reply: 5

Is it possible to view images in Wide Colour Gamut on a modern TV?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:46:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Anybody else frustrated with the ageing 8 bit jpeg sRGB format that has been around since 1996?

I assume like me, members view their photos on their living room large TV?
And if like me you have a modern 4K TV that can output video in a WCG (rec2020)  but frustrated in the fact that i can't view images in anything other than jpeg sRGB!

Fortunatley I have most of my photos stored in the Nikon RAW format so converting them to a 16bit or more format shouldn't be a problem.

A couple of Qs

What would be the file format/profile required?...Adobe RGB, PrpPhotoRGB, Tiff etc?

Do any of the current crop of 4K TVs allow for viewing any of the above?

If i connect my PC/laptop direct to the TV and with the right photo viewer be able to view a 16bit file format?

Another I idea i read was to create a 4K video slideshow and insert a HDR flag?  Anyone tried this? (maybe one for the video forum)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:46:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't have a 4K TV so I'm not usually concerned by the limits of JPG.
My TV is connected to a PC for PVR duties and photo viewing.
If you're looking for a better format then .PNG is capable of much deeper bit depth and lossless compression which should be better.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:46:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Note that colour gamut, bit depth, and HDR are separate things.  You can have HDR with big and small colour gamuts and high and low bit depths.

You could create a video file which is a slideshow to get HDR if you used appropriate software.  The problem would be that while you can convert the photos into the appropriate colourspace for an HDR video file (rec2020) those photos wouldn't actually be HDR.  Photos from your camera won't be HDR.  You can merge several exposures to get a HDR file but you can't really edit them (you can tonemap them down to SDR) and would your video software understand HDR photo formats?

As for displaying wide gamut still images correctly on a TV you would have to find out whether the TV can read the colourspace tag in the image file and apply appropriate colour management to display it properly.  The photo display modes are also less likely to work with high bit files, check the documentation for acceptable file formats.  TV's are more likely just going to be set to work with standard image formats like sRGB jpg as that is what most people would try and show on them.

PNG is a rubbish format for photos.  It is losslessly compressed but you get very big files with photos.  It is ideal for computer screenshots though.  You can create jpg images that indistinguishable from the originals with much smaller file sizes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:46:32 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 06:46:32 Mobile | Show all posts
I suggested PNG because it offers a better bit depth and compression and is widely available.
The lossy compression in JPG is one of the reasons images look so poor.  If you want really big files try uncompressed TIFF

I agree I'm not sure many TVs would support it natively you're basically looking at a PC type  device for displaying anything better than JPG.  

Panasonic have announced a TV to go with that format - I hope you're sitting down
Panasonic's GZ2000 4K OLED is for color accuracy fanatics

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 06:46:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I know, i saw it announced this morning.  I've been looking to upgrade my TV bt not sure Ican stretch to upgrade my LUMIX FZ2000 just yet!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部