View: 1083|Reply: 16

New lens or new body?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I currently shoot with an old Nikon D60 body, old I know, but for the most part gives me reasonably good results teamed with my 50mm f/1.8g. I particularly enjoy using it to try and achieve shallow DOF and bokeh. However, being a cropped sensor, the narrower angle means shooting indoors can be tricky (focal length is too close so I need to stand 10ft away...not always possible).

I was looking into getting the equivalent 35mm which I thought may give more flexibility indoors?
I gather a new body with full-frame sensor would probably be wise for the future, but for now, I'm wondering if keeping the D60 with a 35mm would be the best bet?

I'm a relative newbie to photography, so forgive me if any terminology is incorrect

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:11 Mobile | Show all posts
...You've not said "what" you are taking...
I searched Wikipedia and found:
The Nikon D60 is a 10.2-megapixel Nikon F-mount digital single-lens reflex camera announced in January 2008. The D60 succeeds the entry-level Nikon D40x.

So I'm wondering why you are using a 50mm lens - was this off an earlier SLR, perhaps ( I have one too )... I use it with a converter on my Sony NEX5 stills camera, but my interest is in Movies, so I've fitted a continuously variable ND filter for shallow DoF and correct exposure.
However, to my disbelief the 3:1 kit-zoom is sharper and has full auto-iris control.

I guess if you are happy with the sensor, then a kit-zoom for Nikon-F  should be just over £100. This  will transform the convenience. However, for shallow DoF the 50mm lens may have the edge, but not the sharpness, even at f4.
Moving to a full-frame sensor will COST.
Whilst it fixes the multiplication of the 50mm lens . . . an APSC kit-zoom will be very convenient in so many situations.   For a lot more, you can extend the Zoom range, but then you'll probably need a tripod/support.

An added feature of my APSC NEX5 is that it has "background defocus" which you can adjust - for stills that's very handy as I can use a Still when titling ( opening shots, etc.), this looks more natural that doing defocus in the Editor ( and a lot less work! ).

It depends on yr Budget and what's about . . .  I have a 24mm Sigma lens in the SLR kit, but it's never used.  Changing lenses has the risk of introducing "spots" on the sensor.... something I only notice later-on.... so a good Zoom is preferable, IMHO.

By contrast the NEX5 came with a 16mm WA lens - never used as the Kit-lens is 18mm wide and the extra-width I have never noticed I need.... so that too is a lens that's never used.  However, I do wish the kit-lens was more than 3:1.
FWIW. My Nikon SLR used a 35-105 f/3.5/4.5 with macro-feature  - you'd think was useful for the NEX5 in Movie-mode....Arrgh - it has an internal "noise" as you zoom...ball-race(?) I guess.... never an issue with Stills, - but a No-No for any Audio.
Another feature for Stills, the NEX5 has "Panorama" which internally stitches about 5 frames together - that is some wide-shot - but needs to be a static view - no use at Parties. The NEX5 is discontinued, but now replaced by much more expensive cameras.

I think it will depend on your Spending Budget . . . . and if you are happy to stay with 10Mpx.

Let us know how thinks work out.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Normally I would recommend upgrading/changing lenses but in your case upgrading to a newer FF body will probably make quite a difference. Not only in terms of DOF but also low light performance/noise performance, as well as autofocus performance, bigger brighter viewfinder, more dynamic range, better LCD screen etc etc. You don't have to go crazy and buy the latest greatest FF camera, even something like the D700 will be a big step up imo. It's a lot heavier though. You can pick them up in good condition used for about £400.

Of course, a lot will depend on budget, if you've got around £900 then a used D750 is one of the best bangs for buck.

I don't know why 12Harry is questioning your use of 50mm lens tbh, it's a great lens and there's no reason not to use it on the D60. But then I'm often confused about his posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 07:02:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the replies - yes, I wasn't sure about the issue with the 50mm myself Harry but thanks for all the info. Other than the narrow field on cropped sensors, there was nothing but praise when I was researching the 50. And, as I said, I'm generally delighted with it. I have the 18-55 kit lens but with the lowest f-stop at 3.5, I can't get anything like the DOF effect.

What I'm shooting varies, generally still, I sometimes use it for portrait shots inside (just family etc) but I also use it in my shop (not photography related) for product shots, environment etc which is where the focal length gets tricky. I don't have that much low-light requirement, the AF speed isn't really an issue either. The budget could just about stretch to the D700, I'm just a little concerned the focal length might still be an issue if I want to get close-ups.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:14 Mobile | Show all posts
What do you mean by close ups? Close up to me means you ‘zoom’ into the subject, in which case a longer focal length or macro lens is better. However if you mean that you need to get close but then still need a wide field of view then obviously you need wide angle.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 07:02:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Out of interest is the 50g a FF compatible lens?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Only reason to upgrade bodies IMO:

1. Video
2. Megapixels for pro-level work
3. To go full frame

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:17 Mobile | Show all posts
What about weather sealing, megapixels for cropping (especially wildlife), autofocus systems, intervalometers (if that's your thing), focus stacking, pixel shift, better viewfinders, better ergonomics, LCD screen resolution, live view performance, improved dynamic range, improved noise performance, wifi, GPS, and possibly other things I've forgotten?

I'm not saying all those are important for everyone, and some such as wifi won't be reason enough by itself, but there's a lot of reasons that some may choose to upgrade

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 07:02:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah if you're going from an old as f*** body to a new one and get a plethora of upgrades, it makes sense.

However, in general I'd rather upgrade glass which is better value and significantly better long term investment.

People who upgrade there bodies frequently but i have poor glass are a bit confusing.

I find people who upgrade bodies all the time sometimes very gear obsessed.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部