View: 1134|Reply: 33

Spare a thought for Mansfield Town !

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:24:06 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
For quite a while now Stags fans have been very unhappy with the Chairman who controversially sacked Keith Curle and then Mansfield went downhill after that. A few months ago the chairman arranged to sell their best goal scorer to Hartelpool against the wishes of the manager and the player. The player involved (Richie Barker) said he did not want to leave, and so it all went quiet for a while. The other week the manager was sacked and an ex manager appointed - it would appear he's been employed as a Yes-Man by the chairman. Today Richie Barker was sold to Hartlepool.
The Stags are now hovering dangerously near to dropping out of the league completely with a Chairman who will sell "at the right price". A sad time for Stags supporters.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 21:24:07 Mobile | Show all posts
My sympathies. When I used to live in Cambridge I went to see United play and I've kept an eye out for them since; past couple of years they've been heading down the same route as Mansfield - no money, too much politics in the boardroom, having to seel everything. They're now out of the League and at the wrong end of the Conference table (three points above relegation zone). It ain't pretty. My best wishes in getting out of the situation.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:24:08 Mobile | Show all posts
According to the SSA (the Stags Supporters Association) website the chairman received an unbudgeted amount of £125,000 for Liam Lawrence a while ago and the fans most common song since then has been "Where's the money gone?".

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:24:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Well this whole sorry saga has now reached the pages of Private Eye !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:24:11 Mobile | Show all posts
1st team I ever saw play.

My dad, who is definately not a fooy nut, tried to 'bond' us with his local team.

Much the same as his dad  did I guess. I was between 6-8, can't really remember it. Well, apart from it was very cold and I wanted to go home...

Stood on the terraces though . I'm alot more into footy now, always look out for towns results.

My fear is they will go ka-put soon .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:24:12 Mobile | Show all posts
It gets worse ! On Saturday a photographer was ejected from the ground and will be charged later this week. This taken from mansfieldtoday.co.uk

Ejected photographer thanks Stags' fans
The freelance photographer thrown out of Field Mill for displaying a 'Haslam Out' photograph on his laptop today thanked the hundreds of fans who sent him messages of support.
Dan Westwell has been charged with a public order offence after being ejected from the ground, arrested and taken to Mansfield Police Station - because there was a photograph of a 'Haslam Out' sign on the screen of his laptop.
His dismissal during Saturday's 2-1 win over Division II leaders Walsall, by both stewards and police, prompted loud chants against Stags' owner Keith Haslam from a large section of the crowd.
Earlier in the day renewed protests against Mr Haslam had begun with signs being erected on roads across the area, a petition being gathered outside the ground and chants for him to quit the football club once the game got underway.
Tonight Dan, who is due to appear in court on Friday and has been threatened with a banning order from football grounds, said: "I was absolutely stunned at what happened . . . as far as I was concerned I was just doing my job as I do every week following Mansfield Town all over the country .
"I still haven't been told why I was ejected from the ground, but if it was because I'd got 'Haslam Out' photos on my laptop, I had taken those the previous night around Junction 29.
"It is my job to cover a 'newsworthy' story around Mansfield. When I got my laptop out, they were on there as I opened up my software to sort out the photos from the Walsall game.
"As I was led out of the ground the 'Haslam Out' chants were deafening and when I looked at the magnificent fans in the West Stand and Quarry Lane end, they were giving me a standing ovation and chanting my name.
" I would also like to thank each and every Mansfield Town supporter for their amazing support and backing that I have been shown since the incident.
"I have had hundreds of emails, text messages, phone calls and also seen several Internet message boards where there are hundreds of people supporting me. I can't thank you all enough for that support."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:24:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Worse still the Chairman has banned the local paper from printing their fixture list ! :-

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 21:24:14 Mobile | Show all posts
What a total . It's jokers like him that blight football at the lower levels. It makes you wonder if the old days of 'bowler hat' type chairmans were so bad after all. Yes they did very little, but sometimes it's better that way. As long as the grounds were safe, and the clubs ticked along everyone was happy.

Now we get these 'flyboys' who want to make a name for themselves, with plenty of 'business plans' and 'long term solution platforms', yet no clue about how to run a football club.

Yanks and 'flash merchants' like that sad act at Mansfield will be the death of the game in England.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:24:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Haslam keeps going on about "getting bums on seats", but doesn't seem to notice that the crowds for home games have gone down since he started acting up and milking the club. Before that there were often sell-outs of 9 or 10,000 but now it's down to about 2 to 3,500 thousand. Lots of people do not want their money going to this man.
To back this statement up, when Mansfield played away just down the road at Notts County there were 4,047 there from Mansfield - more than for most of the home games this season.
The fans have tried to buy the club but he always prices it out of their reach. He appointed a new Chairman a couple of months ago and he has now just been done for drinking and driving..... the sorry saga continues.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 21:24:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Well the saga continues and after a couple of months of local businessmen trying to form a consortium to buy the club, there is now the prospect of the bloke who sold the York City ground to build a supermarket taking over
This bloke sounds like a total nutcase - just read this :-

Stags to be renamed Harchester United ?

I had to look at the date to see if it was April 1st after I read that.

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部