View: 328|Reply: 4

Croatia - Cash vs Card

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:16:38 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Visting Croatia in 10 days time - based in Dubrovnik but may do some trips.

When I travel on holiday I always take a little cash (say £200) for incidentals and predominantly use my credit card, never give it a second thought.

But reading that may not work so well in Croatia, and cards may not be widely accepted.

I’m guessing they are talking about ‘off the beaten track’ or should I be taking more cash.

Also where to get cash - UK or in country.  If in country would I be best taking sterling and excahnge or just using ATMs.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:16:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Not been to Croatia but when I travel I take some cash and use ATM.

Visa have a decent phone app which includes an ATM locator and a currency converter. Recommended.

We visited Japan this spring and I was surprised how few places used Visa. Might be worth checking in detail.
When I visited the Netherlands I got a MasterCard credit card as they seemed more commonly accepted.

Sorry I can’t offer more specific advice, hope someone else will be along soon.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:16:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Stayed in Mlini, not far from where you are headed a couple of years ago. Cash machines were not too difficult to find though I recall card payments were accepted only in the bigger places as you say, so it's a good idea to keep some cash for smaller ones. I was getting a good rate in conversion from a Revolut card at ATMs per MSE recommendations for cards abroad, it might depend what your card provider offers whether you take any Kuna with you. I don't recall the exchange bureau offering better than I was getting through the card provider.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:16:41 Mobile | Show all posts
We were in Pula in April. Card was fine for the most part.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:16:41 Mobile | Show all posts
To answer my own question.

Just got back.  Generally had no problem using cash though a lot of excursion companies add an extra 10% if paying by card - which is illegal in the EU - though only about 1/3 of the countries (including the UK) are actually abiding by it.

So no problem with paying for things except for the fact that Dubrovnik is fudging expensive.  Using the de-facto standard for holiday prices - a pint of beer (well 0.5l, not even a pint) expect to pay between £5 and £6 in most places.  Main courses at cheaper restaurants - between £14 and £24 (lower end, burger a fries, upper end cheap cut of steak and fries).  This is outside the Old City too, within its walls expect to pay a little more.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部