Holiday in America advice

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:17:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Small thread hijack:

I read that UK citizens will still need to apply for ESTA to enter the USA. A small fee is involved.

Can someone who has been through it or travlled recently to the States confirm?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:17:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Travelled in May - ESTA needed.

But to be pedantic - it's not an ENTRY permit;  it's a travel authorisation, which means it is a permit to board a flight (etc) bound for the USA; that is all.  Entry is still determined when you clear US immigration (usually, on arrival at the first USA airport;  however, on flights from Dublin this occurs in Dublin before departure).

Still?  I'm not sure where that word came from; I have seen nothing to suggest that this requirement, which has been in place for a good few years, may cease.
The fee is currently unchanged at USD14 per person on the official site
Home | Official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
There are many lookalike sites found by eg google, that levy additional "service charges" for doing absolutely nothing of benefit to you or anyone else except themselves.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Also travelled in May to US and visit every year. Can also confirm ESTA is needed but it is valid for 2 years (I think) and you can use it for as many trips as you like until expired. Be sure to follow link above as I've also seen multiple sites adding extra charges for no reason at all!

They used to give approval immediately but after I applied for my last one it said I needed to wait 72 hours for approval. I thought this was unusual and checked with the friends I was travelling with and the same had happened to all of them. As it turns out the approval email came through much quicker than suggested but best not leave it until the last minute just in case!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks. I wanted to surprise my Missus about the trip to NYC in September. Think the ruse is kept as no need for her to sign anything.

Use magic Report

Just to add to this, when I searched Google for 'ESTA' recently, the official site was the fifth result. Don't get suckered into any unofficial, catch-you-out sites with their inflated costs.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:17:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, you can apply on her behalf at the same time as you apply for your own. You'll just need her passport for the number, issue date, expiration date etc. Its also handy to know the address for where you'll spend your first night in the USA - if its a hotel its easy, if its a rental villa it can be more difficult as these sometimes aren't assigned until you arrive.
The ESTA's seem to get more complicated every time. I applied for my family back in June and this time it asks for social media info, although its optional.
Ours were approved really quickly and I just took a screen grab image with all the reference numbers just in case its ever challenged when you arrive at USA Border.
Good luck

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:17:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Nice time to go there, imo.

IF you have substantial enough time, New York can also offer the possibility of excursions outside the city.

Three I'd suggest are -

- Philidelphia.

Good for at least a full day. Very easy to do, on the Amtrak from Penn Station in midtown and takes only 1 1/4 hours on the Acela trains. The reason is basically to do with early founding history, e.g. the original Congress, the Liberty Bell, interesting museums to founding fathers. But other things too, e.g. historic ships to visit on the Delaware river, an amazing masonic hall/'castle' ( tour ).

- Six Flags Great Adventure at Trenton, New Jersey.

This is the north-east's best, most hard core rollercoaster park. You access it by a bus that goes right to the park ( about an hour and a half, afaik ) from the Metropoitan Bus Terminal in Manhattan. Pay for a fast pass, which though expensive will I think give you better value for your limited opportunity there as a visitor.

-  Tour themed on The Sopranos. Cross the Hudson into New Jersey and take a guided tour based on the iconic show. Not sure if they are still done but should be easy to locate if they are.

Of course each of these three depend on interest in the first place and enough time to do it.

It may not be right for you if this is just a short break but I hope my suggestions are remembered by all readers for any substantial trip to Manhattan.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部