View: 350|Reply: 5

Planning a Trip to Florence - Tips & Ideas?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:53 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As above, we're thinking of a short break in Florence in September.  We'd plan to stay in a city centre hotel, which means I think that most of the places to visit would be within walking distance, Florence being a small city.

Will welcome suggestions and ideas.

Is a trip to Pisa worthwhile, eg:

From Florence: Pisa Day Tour with Leaning Tower of Pisa

Should we plan for a 3 or 4 night stay (giving 2 or 3 full days in the city)?  Perhaps a day more if we do the Pisa thing?

Thanks.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:18:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Florence is lovely. Only did it for a day, but there was plenty more we didn't see. I'd imagine 3 days would be enough to see it all.

Pisa on the other hand is a bit of a dump, apart from the leaning tower etc. It's just a very centralised tourist attraction. I can't say I'd make the effort to go there for the day.

The other city in the area worth a visit is Sienna.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:55 Mobile | Show all posts
More than 3 days needed !!! If you can't, then perhaps resolve to return for a second visit. If you have the time on that occasion, a further suggestion is to go on by train somewhere else e.g. Rome or Venice, flying into one and out of the other - just an idea. For a single visit to "do" Florence and bit of surrounding Tuscany I'd say 4 or 5 days. There's plenty to do for more mind.

Remember the country stuff and the nearby towns in the country. And Pisa - yes do it.

Yes stay very central. A lot of the tourist centre is pedestrianised and that feels great to walk out into.

Pisa : You don't need a guided excursion. Just get down there by train - about an hour. All a typical tourist will be there to do is located in one visiting park compact area. Try as far as possible to have things booked online ( don't know what the current position is ) in order to avoid multiple stages of queueing. There is the leaning tower, obviously, but also there's a cathedral and a museum to marble. You can walk down to the area from the station, crossing the river, which is quite nice there, or jump in a taxi of course. Say prayers at a church before going up the leaning tower, to prevent it toppling over during your visit. Pisa is a dead easy self guided excursion and you can't not do the leaning tower, obviously ! It needn't even take a whole day.

The Tuscan countryside is just gorgeous. Take your pick from the plethora of guided excursions which might include things like wineries , hilltop monestaries, cycling ..... that kind of thing. Or just go self guided.

Specifically, places in the nearby countryside to aim for I'll mention.

San Gimignano and Siena.
These can be seen on the same day and both are great. San Gimignano is a walled medieval town with seven towers, surrounded by gorgeous rolling fields. DO IT !  Mark this note : you can go up one of the towers and the view/photos from there are sublime ( I was there in the later afternoon and the photographic opportunity was terrific ).

Siena is mainly about 1) the famous tower around which is a small horse racing circuit thing, which is difficult to put into description - its not a field, and 2) the beautiful beautiful cathedral - small compared to some and not special on the outside, but inside ......
Yes you can go up the tower. Hopefully you can still climb up on the wooden platform under the bell, which will make your palms sweat but it seems safe enough. Again, say prayers at the cathedral, so that the platform doesn't tip and the ladders don't snap.

I've heard Lucca is really nice, but I haven't been there. Its a bit further away ( near Pisa )

Florence itself is exceptional and prettier than any other city in Italy, including Venice. Do do it justice. The open spaces, churches and museums are just sublime. Now, a word about the place(s) with the high crowd draw exhibits. The waiting to see them can be silly, so I'm thinking you should enquire before you go as to whether certain guided visits/excursions, might give you fast track/easier access.

Safety tip if you value your ankles :

When walking about the pedestrianised areas of Florence, beware of the tiny electric buses that slowly creep up on you and try to break your feet, in order to make the driver's day more interesting. Seriously, they are near silent and they don't seem to care what's in front of them.

--------------------------------

You will not be disappointed by Florence - it really is prettier than the other cities. You may regret not giving it long enough and you may regret not allowing time to see a bit of Tuscany, e.g the amazing San Gimignano.

Drink lots of Biera Moretti , which I discovered on my way back from San Gimignano and now get it regularly here.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:18:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I did a long weekend there and felt it was enough. It was a bit busy due to the Marathon, but easy to get around. They have a dockless bike hire scheme which is cheap and a good way to get about and see the place.

For carnivores, there’s the Florentine steak and the lampredotto to try.

Some of the restaurants were just tourist traps and a bit of a ripoff. Look for places that have locals or at least Italians eating there.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:56 Mobile | Show all posts
it's an amazing place - been once before...

and we stayed near the main cathedral - Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore...

and there was a small restaurant that had the best pasta I've ever tasted -
Ristorante il Paiolo, Florence - Duomo - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

as we stayed in the Albergo Firenze which was just over the little road from there

wish we'd went there twice as we ate in a main square and the food was average...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:18:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you seen - Hannibal? Some of it is filmed in Florence.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部