View: 551|Reply: 11

Skiing Holiday for Beginners

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:24:53 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
My wife and I are looking at booking our first skiing holiday. We were thinking Bulgaria but I thought I would create a post on here for some advice.

We are going to do a few sessions at the Chill Factore before we commit though.

So where would people recommend? Tips on on what to take etc?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:24:54 Mobile | Show all posts
We went to Zakopane in Poland 2 years ago, we had a great time, good spot for beginners, not too much snow when we were there but they've had a lot of snow so far this winter. We flew into Krakow, hired a car and it took hours to get there. Accommodation and food very reasonable. We hired all of our gear when we got there for the week and bought daily ski passes. Visited the salt mines near Krakow on the way home, they were really interesting.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:24:55 Mobile | Show all posts
soldeu in Andorra is our favorite beginner place, Skiing in Andorra: come to Grandvalira, the largest resort in the Pyrenees  we have been 4 times and we are taking some beginners there in feb, the ski/board school is very good and it is very reasonably priced for everything.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:24:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Kranjska Gora in Slovenia is great for beginners. Cheap, nice food,lovely people and not too long a transfer time.
Went to Bulgaria about 30 years ago  and it was the pits, It is a bit better now but there is more to a holiday than just being cheap.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:24:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I’ve never been to Andorra but I have heard that it is really good for beginners. But to be fair lots of places are, my beginner lessons were a long time ago in Austria. Just arranged a few private lessons and she got me going very quickly.

I also arranged a stag weekend in Tignes where I was the only one who skied before. But again I arranged private lessons for our group and everyone was able to get down the glacier.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
A second for Andorra, never been myself but I've heard good things for beginners.  Also a lot of Australian and New Zealand instructors, so easy language wise.

I think the lessons you mention are a good idea, what's the point in travelling all the way to a resort to then learn how to get on and off a chair or a poma, or how to side step up the mountain a little?

When are you planning on going?  That can be relevant if it is early or late season, as you want to be snow sure then. I would also recommend a catered chalet if that's an option where you're going, very sociable and some great options.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
if andorra is on the cards fly to barca not france as heavy snow can block the french road, 11 hour detour!!
we always use halfboard hotel, galanthus for the last few time and next year - cheap and quiet - a 10 min walk out of town but do free shuttles am and pm.
we have just been sorting out transfers this evening with what was novatel - 3 hours
lessons - always had good speaking english teachers and so friendly and wont push you past your comfort zone as we had in passo tonale, italy.
town is lively enough but we are not into partying til 3am - more like bed by 10pm - but after a full day boarding/skiing and some beers and food its enough
i cant wait to go back feb 23rd for a week - just hope it keeps dumping the pow

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:24:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Great advice from everyone. We would be looking to go towards the end of Feb. We only live 10 minutes away from the the Chill Factor so easy to go and get lessons.

All this is assuming we go for the taster at the chill factore and both like it.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:24:59 Mobile | Show all posts
If you are learning the most important thing is good tuition and sensible slopes. I would pick somewhere maybe like Flaine in France which is great for beginners, I haven't been to Bulgaria but Ive not heard much about it that makes me want to go though much depends on your budget too. As you are going the end of February it wont be quite as cold and you wont need quite as much warm gear. For your first trip get your base layers and salopettes from Decathlon, it wont cost a fortune that way and if you don't like it you've not spent a fortune. You either love it or you hate it there isn't much middle ground. Its worth hitting the gym too to strengthen your legs and core as learning to ski will makes muscles aches you never knew you had

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:25:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the advice. Already changed my gym routine, lol. I'll have a look at Flaine.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部