12Next
Back New
View: 542|Reply: 19

San Francisco and Los Angeles, best area to stop?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 22:32:22 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Looking at a multi centre holiday next Feb to New York and then San Francisco. Know New York but never been to San Francisco before so looking for suggestions as to the best location to stay. Looking at Fishermans Wharf area, anywhere better?? Hotel recommendations would be appreciated. Will not be renting a hire car so will be walking or using public transport.

*edit* so slight change of plan potentially. Now looking at LA plus SF. So same question regarding LA, would be looking to visit universal studios.

Many thanks,
TR.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:32:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Stayed at Fisherman's Wharf for 3 days in 2002, just at the Holiday Inn so nothing spectacular. We didn't venture too far from that district but it seemed to be where the action was.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:32:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Public transport is very good and the city is compact anyway.  Fishermans Wharf is a lively area, but in case it works for you - you could stay anywhere downtown in shouting distance of Market Street and take the electric tram (streetcar) round, or cablecar over, to the FW area anyway.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:32:25 Mobile | Show all posts
We stayed at the FW Hyatt centric last year. It was a good hotel in a nice location. Close to a cable car stop that doesn't get too busy.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:32:26 Mobile | Show all posts
What do you want to do when in SF?  Let me know that and I can tell you exactly where to stay but in summary:

1 - Fishermans Wharf - very touristy - great for Alcatraz, bike hire, cycling the golden gate bridge etc

2 - Union Square - where all the bars, shopping, food can be found.

3 - SOMA - Some nice hotels but not exactly touristy - good for a convention at the Moscone but not recommended for a first visit.

Let me know how many days you are going for and I can give you some suggestions of things worth doing.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:32:27 Mobile | Show all posts
@TheBlueBrazil Thank you Will be there for 4 days. Is just an holiday so will be doing all the tourist things. Will be travelling with our daughter for her 16th birthday so close to more family orientated areas would be better. Torn between FW or US but think may be FW is the better choice? How far are the two areas apart?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:32:27 Mobile | Show all posts
We stayed for 5 nights at The Chancellor - San Francisco Boutique Hotels | Chancellor Hotel San Francisco

Short walk to Union Square and a short tram ride down to Fishermans Wharf.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:32:28 Mobile | Show all posts
ok - I went to SF in October last year with my oldest son for 4 nights - we stayed at HI Express Fishermans Wharf as I wanted to be in the touristy bit as we were doing touristy things.

SF is not a big city - you can walk from FW to US (uphill) quite easily and it's quite a nice walk - we walked from the hotel to the Coit Tower, Financial District, Union Square, Market St, City Hall and back to FW via Market, Union Square, North Beach.  That was a nice way to spend day 1 when you are up at silly o'clock due to the time difference.  Don't walk back from City Hall via any other route than Market Street though as you will find yourself in Tenderloin and you don't want to do that.

Market Street has a lot of homeless but they are harmless - just keep walking and dont' stare.

You can get a 3 day ticket which gets you on the Cable Cars and buses - a single ride on the cable car regardless of distance is $7 (regardless of distance) so a 3 day ticket makes sense - there is a cable car stop in FW area which takes you to Market St.  You can get the F line street car from Market to FW (and the E line now as well).  Get a 3 day ticket and you can ride the cable cars for fun.  The advantage of FW is that the line to get on is never as busy as the line at Market so my strategy is Cable Car to Market  and then bus/streetcar back to FW.

More to come.....

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:32:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Bike The Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito & Tiburon in San Francisco | Blazing Saddles

We did the bike ride to Tiburon (20  miles) and got the ferry back - some really nice stops along the way.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:32:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Alcatraz - you have to do this - there are 3 options now

Day tour
Night Tour
Behind the Scenes

Alcatraz tour comparison chart

I've done the first 2 - the Behind the Scenes wasn't available when I booked unfortunately.  I would definitely go for it the next time.

The Day tour is recommended by me for first time visitors as parts of the island as shut off at night.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部