Author: owenwoodcock89

Activities in Sorrento

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:35:14 Mobile | Show all posts
We are off to Sorrento in August, so thank you for the tips.

One tip from our travel agent was that Sorrento and particularly St Agnello is quite seasonal, so some of the bars, restaurants and hotels are closed after the half term. (I think there is a national holiday around then and that is the closure date for many places)

We have booked an organised trip to Vesuvius from Sorrento. Coach to the 1st car park, then 4x4 truck to almost the top, with the last vertical 200M to walk. In the afternoon you get a meal and wine tasting at a vineyard and then a snooze back in the bus.

Buy combined Pompeii and Herculaneum tickets in advance. You get both sites for the on the day price of Pompeii, plus some of the museums as well.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:35:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Getting to Sorrento

There are direct services from Naples airport to your accommodation in Sorrento.
For example : home

Or, if you simply enjoy transferring about on different forms of transport, get yourself to Naples then you have a choice :
either board the Circumvesuviana train for Sorrento or take a hydrofoil across the water - perhaps a more fun way.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:15 Mobile | Show all posts
  I would never go to a place like this in August.

But then, I am a cat, with fur. Plus I'm very overweight.

I think the OP has the right idea with October.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:35:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I would agree, we normally do Italy in June, but we have 2 teenage girls who insisted upon August, a pool, boys and wifi...

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Ah.

Bear in mind this area has little in the way of beaches mind. Sorrento, virtually nothing. Some small bits at Amalfi and Positano.

Plenty of local lads though ( but none of them a match in looks for my fine markings ).

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh wow! those images look absolutely amazing! Knowing my luck, the whole holiday will be rain

Is it quite a difficult place to find? I do like to take adventures and find little treasures.

Wow so much information, thank you so much. I think this holiday is going to be better than what we may have planned if I didn't ask you guys for tips. Just need to save up those pennies I absolutely love architecture so will definitely fit Herculaneum into the plan. I'm starting to think I may need a 6 week holiday

I never even thought about seasonality for attractions, I'm glad you have mentioned this and I'm glad October seems like a good time

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I visited Sorrento in mid June.  It was warm with a bit of rain.  Might have been just unlucky, but when I visit again it will be early July or a mid August.   Please try the Lemonchello drink and of course Peroni lager beer.  Both delicious.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:35:20 Mobile | Show all posts
IS the Peroni beer any different to what you can buy here in the UK? I'm not the biggest fan of Peroni so I hope it's better.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:20 Mobile | Show all posts
There are 2 Peroni beers in Italy. The one you get here, which is known as Nastro and a red labelled one known as Peroni. The red one is less of a lager than the one we get and a wee big stronger tasting. The red one sells.more in Italy.
So if you want the lager you ask for Nastro, if you ask for Peroni you get the red one.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:21 Mobile | Show all posts
I strongly endorse this one. Herculaneum  is more interesting than Pompeii, and probably less crowded.

Herculaneum is a buried city. Pompeii is a devastated wasteland in comparison. Visit both if possible, but if you can do just one, it has to be Herculaneum.

If you can, check some of the BBC TV programmes on Pompeii and Herculaneum. You will know more about the place and will understand more of what you see.

If there is rail access, or a coach, the Solfatara crater near Naples is a strange, and smelly, tourist attraction.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部